Chapter 3

MAXONS POV

"I was thinking,"I said as I pulled back the string watching as the arrow flew towards the target as I released. Next to me, I watched as America shot an arrow at her own target, smiling triumphantly as she made yet another bullseye. We were doing archery together. With my brothers permission of course. America told me how she had asked him yesterday and was given a statement of hatred for archery from my brother. But she had given him the eyes and he couldn't refuse, so he decided I was the perfect person to take her instead. And of course I was happy to oblige.

She looked at me out of the corner of her eye, pulling back the bow string and firing another perfect shot. "Yes?"

"We should have a signal," I told her.

"A signal?" She asked doubtfully, putting down her bow and turning to face me.

"Yes. You know for when we want to hang out,"
I said casually.

"I don't think I understand. Haven't we already been hanging out?" America asked.

"That's not what I mean," I said, setting down my own bow. "If we keep on sending notes the maids and guards will start gossiping about some sort of affair."

She rolled her eyes and laughed. "They gossip like old ladies."

When she laughed her head tipped back slightly, showing her neck and her eyes danced challengingly. It was mesmerizing. Her laugh was becoming one of my favorite things.

"I get it though," She said, a smile dancing across her lips. "What about flicking your nose?"

"Too noticeable.  Pulling your hair?"

"Your crown will fall off," She giggled, grabbing her bow and knocking her arrow, pulling back in preparation for another shot.

"I've got it! Tugging our ears!" I exclaimed.

AMERICAS POV

"...tugging our ears," He said. He took a step closer, his hand reaching out to move a piece of hair that had fallen from my ponytail and then tugging gently on my ear lobe.

"Perfect," I whispered. My knees grew sort of weak and my hand got shaky and released the arrow. I still shot another perfect shot even in my distracted state.

Out of no where an alarm blared, disturbing me and Maxon's miniature moment. I could here the faint sound of the palace gates jingling open and I looked up at Maxon in confusion. Then it clicked. I mean I have heard of Rebel attacks, but I never thought I would experience one in my time at the palace. But I guess that was just wishful thinking. Because there me and Maxon both stood, frozen in our places as the palace gates broke open and rebels filed in. The last documented rebel attack was 8 years ago when Maxon was only 11. His found it be happening now?! I couldn't seem to move until I was face to face with a rebel. And my mind debated that golden question. Fight or flight. But I only had one instinct. Fight.

I grabbed the rebels arm, holding him in place as I kicked him square in the chest. My foot made impact and he stumbled back, tripping over his feet and falling on the ground. I looked up at Maxon and the palace, thinking of all the damage this rebel could do to them both. I made a quick decision and kicked the guy in the head making him go unconscious. He wouldn't be able to hurt anybody.

Another one came running at me and I turned to face him, a determined look crossing my face. No one would be hurt today. I took a step forward and propelled myself into an Ariel wheel, almost like a cart wheel but with no hands. My legs soared through the air, my hair grazing the ground, and my feet continued there circular path until the they hit him in the face, and I landed on the ground. But that only stalled him. I ducked to the ground, narrowly missing his punch and flung my leg out, tripping him. He tumbled to the ground and I stood up, slamming my heel down into his rib cage to keep him down. He was still awake but way too disoriented to cause anymore damage.