Chapter 38

I was moping in my room. I was sitting on my bed doing nothing. The only reason I wasn't going into full depression without him was the baby. I know that if he knew, Maxon would want me to take care of him/her to the best of my ability. So I was eating, sleeping, and drinking enough liquids to keep me alive and healthy. But I'm constantly missing him.

Because of my pregnant state I am on palace arrest. I've been banned from going on the rescue mission to save my own husband. But I get the feeling that the baby wants me to go. So what's wrong with fighting for two. It's twice the odds. But the odds of me making it back are too slim in there books. So here I sit. Wishing that I was with him. 

I think my attitude is making the maids, guards, and Silvia alike wish they had sent me. I send Silvia not so subtle glares whenever I see her. My maids are about ready to kill me. And I might have told a few guards off for gossiping about the rescue mission. I blame it on the hormones. They sent General Legar in with 5 other probably very qualified men, but I wasn't one of those men. So it wad an issue.

My piano is practically calling my name. Telling me to play out my feelings and annoy the palace with the loud music in the process. I must say it's a good idea, but I'll just want to right more of 'Maxons unnamed song'.
Which isn't that much if a problem now that I think about it.

I slid on to the piano bench and pulled out the sheet music. Okay America. There had to be something that inspires you that happened on your 'vacation'.

My dear, were slow dancing in a burning room

Maxons voice whispered in the back of my mind.

Yes. Yes we were.

~oOo~

When I entered the meeting room I barely not card everyone stiffening. And maybe slightly cowering. Oh come on. My attitude was not that bad. I took into accord that General Legar was sitting in an expensive leather chair with the rest of us. He's back! Which means so is...where's Maxon?

"Your majesty," Silvia greeted. "I am required to inform you that 5 out of 6 of the guards that were sent to save Maxon, did not make it to the rebel base in Baffin. And they aren't able to save his majesty."

I pursed my lips, but kept my temper in check. "And what are you going t do about this," I whispered slowly and menacingly.

Silvia visibly paled. "We are going to send more troops out, but double in numbers."

"I want to go," I interrupted her.

"Unfortunately, my queen. in your current state of well being we cannot allow you to go on any dangerous missions," Stravos said, his voice not even shaking. 

"General Legar, are greatest general, is the only one who made it back. I know how those rebels fight, and I know how to win. These rebels are crazy, uneducated, practically weapon less people. But there not the sane as every other rebel. When you have no resources, you make resources. And that's what they did. And they did it well. And I'm the only one who is ready for that."

"I'm sorry. We will send out as many soldiers as we can afford to loose. But we can't afford to loose you. Meeting adjourned," Stravos said officially.

"Sir Stravos. May I remind you of your place.  I end this meeting because I'm the Queen. I'm not going to yell or whine at you for telling me no. But I will not allow you to disrespect my authority as queen," I said slowly, enunciating each syllable.

"Yes, your majesty. It won't happen again," he muttered.

I nodded. "You are all dismissed. I want my husband back by sunset in two days."

~oOo~

"I'm sorry, America. I could never understand what that's like. There is something you can do, and there not letting you do it. Nonetheless that they sent five amateur officers with General Legar," Shiree muttered.

I gasped. "Don't they care about saving the king?!"

"Yes. But they wanted a chance to send some rookies out on the field. Rookies mistake," Shiree said, and giggled slightly at her play on words.

"How do we know that they're not just going to make the same mistake again?" Marlee asked.

"We don't," I sighed. "What if they're hurting him? It's all my fault that he is suffering through this. I just wish I could make him...appear."

"It's not your fault-," Marlee tried to consul me, but was cut off by Shiree.

"Are you 100% sure that they're heading to Baffin?"

"Positive. They took the Baffin River route. It only leads to one place."

"The Baffin docks," we said together.

"If what you're insinuating is correct than they have yet to arrive. They won't arrive in Baffin till tomorrow afternoon," she stated.

I looked down sadly. He was okay, but he was still rotting away in that jail cell. Who knows if he's been fed or not? And I'm here. Sitting in luxury and wallowing in pity. Shiree called my name and I looked up.

"What if there was something you
Could do," she asked. "There probably going to send out rookies, just more of them. And it won't get Maxon back. But there are options. People like me, you, General Legar, Officer Avery, Officer Tanner, even Marlee's husband would be better suited for this mission. There has to be other people who are more qualified."

A smile slowly spread across my face. "Your right. There are other options."

~oOo~

"America, we could loose our jobs," Aspen sighed.

"I won't let that happen," I assured.

"That's not up to you. That's up to them head of the guards," Avery disagreed.

I rolled my eyes. Do the really doubt my ability to keep them safe. "If they fire you, I fire them. And they can't fire you for accompanying the Queen on a small outing."

"Small Outing!" Tanner asked In disbelief.

I nodded.

"I'm not even a guard anymore," Carter reminded me.

"But you were one of the best guards we had," Shiree explained.

"Are you guys in?" I asked.

They all shared a look of hesitation before nodding slowly. A smile spread across my face.

"Than let's go save a King."