17

(song: Goner; Vessel)
|okay I know I keep saying 'don't hate me' but I know you're going to after this chapter|

||Josh||

It's only been 2 days since Tyler got in that car accident but it feels like 5 years. I wish he would just wake up by now but I can't force him. I can't imagine how much pain he's in right now as I sit here and just stare at him, waiting for some sort of response. I was holding his hand once again. I couldn't sleep last night and I probably looked like a zombie from the dark circles under my eyes. I want to sleep but I can't get myself to actually do it, I can't stop thinking about everything. I thought I felt his hand twitch so I felt hopeful but it went away when I realized I just imagined it.

There was a soft knock on the door before it opened to reveal Dr. Blake, "Hello Josh,"

"Hey," I replied with a small smile before turning back to Tyler. I stared at him a little longer as the doctor took more notes. I sighed and decided to get up, but when I stood and pulled away, he gripped my hand. Now I knew I wasn't imagining it.

I turned around and kneeled next to his bed, "Tyler?" my voice croaked but he didn't answer. His eyes twitched and slowly fluttered open, not all the way because of the bright light. He squinted and groaned.

"Tyler!" I yelled out in excitement as I leaned down to hug him softly from him still being in a lot of pain, even if I did want to squeeze the life out of him. He didn't do anything back so I leaned away and looked at him, a confused expression was written across his face.

"Hi?" he asked as he looked around the room. His eyes landed on Dr. Blake, "Who are you?"

"I'm Dr. Blake, you are in the hospital right now from getting in a car accident but we can discuss the details later," he replied and Tyler nodded slowly before looking at me.

"And who are you?"

I smiled a little before he took his hand out of mine and I was shocked. I furrowed my eyebrows, "Ty?"

He didn't say anything but he stared, trying to figure me out, "Don't you remember me?"

I let a sad smile form on my face for a split second before he shook his head and my smile went away immediately. Why can't he remember me? I looked at Dr. Blake and he was confused too.

"You said he'd be okay!" I yelled facing the doctor as he took a small step back, "I'm sorry Josh, we didn't know because he was unconscious," he kept calm. I ran my hands through my hair in distress. I can't believe I've waited this long for him to wake up to have him not remember me!

"I can't believe this is happening." I muttered to myself. I turned back around to Tyler who was still very confused on why I was still here in his room.

"I'm sorry, Josh," Dr. Blake spoke up again.

I nodded with a sigh, "I know, it's just-I don't know what to say."

"Would you like to stay here and talk to him for a little bit longer?"

I nodded again and he gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before leaving. When he closed the door, I turned around to Tyler once again and sat down in the chair as I gave him a small smile.

"So, Tyler," I started and he cocked an eyebrow, "how are you feeling?"

"Everything hurts, but I'm fine I guess," he answered with his hoarse voice.

"Hungry?"

He slowly nodded, "Yeah, I could really go for some Taco Bell or Chipotle right now," he weakly laughed.

I smiled, "Yeah, I know."

He looked confused again and I sighed, "Are you sure you don't remember me? Your best friend and boyfriend?"

His eyes went wide and I could see him blush a little, "I've never had a boyfriend before,"

I sighed and buried my head in my hands, "Look, you're not going to believe this but we've been best friends for a long time and have been dating for over 3 months. Do you remember your other best friend, Brendon?"

He nodded, "Yeah."

"But why can't you remember me?"

I scanned his face and he shook his head, "Look, I'm sorry, you're cute and all, you really are, but I don't know who you are and why you're here. I don't want to sound rude but, could you, maybe-"

"Leave? Yeah I can go."

I stood up and nodded before I put the chair back. I gave him a small wave before I left his room. I wanted to scream. I could hear Dr. Blake's voice as he called for me to come back but I kept walking. Eventually, I made it outside and his voice disappeared as I got in my car. I hit my hands against the steering wheel and rested my forehead on the backs of my hands. I let out a long breath. I can't believe it. Maybe he'll go into surgery or something and they'll fix this fucking mess. But if he doesn't remember me, I don't know what I'll do without him. I need him.

I heard a knock on my window and I lifted my head, expecting it to be Dr. Blake, only to see Brendon. I've never been more happy to see someone in my life. I opened my door and got out to give him a hug. I almost knocked him over but he managed to stay standing up. I let my tears out and I didn't care if I was in front of someone who would possibly make fun of me for it one day.

"Whoa, what's going on?" he asked with a small chuckle until he realized that I was crying. He pulled away and looked at my face, "Josh?" he asked softly.

I wiped my tears away from my eyes, "Yeah?"

"What's wrong?"

"T-Tyler can't remember me,"

"What? What're you saying?"

"He w-woke up and he didn't recognize me, at all,"

"Josh," Brendon pulled me in for another hug, "I was just about to go inside to see him-"

"Don't worry he remembers you,"

He sighed, "I'm sorry Josh,"

"Don't worry about me,"

"But I have too, and I always will because I care about you. Don't forget that."

I nodded and we pulled away. I wiped away more of my tears and I heard Brendon chuckle, "It's okay, no need to cry Jish,"

I gave him a shove and lightly smiled, "Whatever Beebo,"

He ruffled my hair, "Well I'm gonna still go inside and I'm guessing you probably don't want to, so maybe you should go home and get some rest,"

I nodded, "Thanks Brendon, tell me what happens,"

He nodded also, "For sure."