Prologue

"I can't do it!" Florence cried. She sat on a nearby rock and took in deep breaths. Wind biting at her skin, cooling her body down.

CRACK

Allison stood in front of her daughter as the wind blew her dark hair back.

"Florence," Allison said sternly. "I need you to look at me," Florence slowly looked up at her mother. Her hazel eyes were lined with tears.

"Yes?"

"Why are you crying?"

"Because I failed."

"You didn't fail. You chose to fail."

"What?"

"Yesterday you made it farther then this. The first day you almost made it to the top."

"Maybe I reached my limit," Allison chuckled.

"You don't even know your limits yet."

"What do you mean?" Allison bent down to her daughters level and brushed some chocolate brown hair out of the nine year olds face.

"Even when you feel like you're lungs are going to explode and your feet are burning, you still haven't reached your limit. Because you could stop and rest, then run again. Right?"

"Yeah."

"So you haven't reached your limit."

"How will I know?"

"You'll never know your limits if you don't push yourself harder."

"When will I reach my limit?"

"I don't know."

Florence looked at her mother, who was smiling.

"Now, do you want to keep going, or are you done?"

"I'll keep going."

"I'll see you at the top."

• • •

"Dad! I did it!" Florence yelled running to her father. Jonathan turned towards his daughter.

"What did you do?" He asked.

"I made it to the top of the hill!" Florence jumped in fathers arms.

"You did?"

"Yeah! All the way to the top."

"It just took a little motivation," Allison said coming up behind her husband.

"We all need motivation," Jonathan replied, setting Florence down. Florence ran into the house to greet her German Shepard puppy, Argo. The puppy ran up to meet the owner.

"You should take him for a run in the morning," Allison said, coming into the room.

"I will," Florence replied.

The next morning she grabbed the blue leash and hooked it to his collar.

"Let's go Argo." For most of the run they went slow. Argo was small and kept tripping over his legs.

"Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it." Florence told the dog.

A/N
It's a short prologue, but you'll understand why in the first chapter.

But hey! New story.