Nine

Florence sat on the couch in front of her grandmother. Her parents had gone Christmas shopping leaving Florence with the woman. Florence had nothing against the woman, she just hated magic.

"Florence, how's school?" Lauren asked her granddaughter.

"It's good." Florence replied.

"Learning lots I assume?"

"Oh indeed! I have this friend named Catalina, she's a metamorphmagus."

"A meta what?"

"A metamorphmagus, she can change her appearance at will. Of course we can with Transfiguration, but hers is more complex. She can change to look like other people! Well, she can't now, but she will one day!" Lauren stared at the girl with shock written all over the place.

"That's not right!" Lauren shouted.

"Sorry nana, it's how it works."

"That's just....stupid." Lauren mumbled.

"Guess what house I'm in?"

"House? Oh wait yes, you're mother told me about these. The houses are Ravenbird, Grifinder, Huffle.....um—Huffleduff! The last one is Slytherin, is it a hotel? Since it as inn in its name."

"Nana, no. The only one you got was Slytherin.....and it is not an inn."

"What are the other ones then?"

"Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Hufflepuff."

"Right, well, which one are you in?"

"Gryffindor."

"Oh, that sounds wonderful dear." Florence pursed her lips and nodded.

"It's....very nice." Florence said blankly.

"I never would've imagined wizard and witches would be real. Magic seems very dangerous Florence."

"Is that why you don't approve of it? It's dangerous?"

"Well....sort of dear. Your mother has told me of horrible things that have happened. Of course she says it's rare, but I don't want to see your father getting hurt....or your mother, or you."

"It's fine nana, I promise."

"If you say so."

There was a tapping on the window. Florence's eyes widened and she realized what it was. Lauren turned around and let out a scream.

"Why is there an own trying to get into the house!" The woman shouted. Florence walked opened the front door and let the owl in.

"FLORENCE! Why are you letting it in!" Lauren screamed

"It's fine nana, it's just owl post." Florence took the letter and gave the owl some food.

"Hope that works." Florence told the owl. It nibbled Florence's finger affectionately before flying out the open door. Florence closed the door and sat back down on the couch. Lauren took her place on the other couch and appeared to have calmed down.

"W-who's it from?" Lauren stuttered as Florence read the letter.

"Just a friend of mine." Florence said as she tucked the letter back in the envelope.

"What friend?"

"Catalina."

"Oh, that's nice."

"I'm going for a run." Florence said as she pulled on her jacket.

"It's cold!"

"Running will warm me." Florence informed as she slipped on her shoes.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive nana, I'll be back later!" Florence cried.

"Alright, have fun!" Lauren heard the back door slam shut.

Florence paced herself as she ran in the forest. The snow made it a tad bit more difficult to run, but she could handle it.

Florence eventually stopped running and leaned against a tree as she steadied her breathing.

Florence was never one to beg for a gift until she got it. If she didn't receive a certain gift she was fine with that. However, for some reason a broom seemed different. Florence has always been competitive and this was a way for her to do that. A way for her be number one. Florence also loved that it was basically running on air.

While Florence was running back she tripped on a patch of ice. There was a crack and the next thing Florence knew blood was spewing from her nose.

When Florence came back home she heard her parents voices.

"I think she'll enjoy her presents." She heard her mother say.

"I have a problem!" Florence cried, running into the living room. Lauren shrieked and went pale while her parents just looked shocked.

"What happened!" Johnathan cried.

"I slipped on ice and broke my nose." Allison pulled out her wand and walked up to Florence. Florence flinched as her mother fixed her nose.

"There we are, now let's go clean up all that blood."

Florence bid a goodbye to her grandmother after she had all the blood wiped from her face. Lauren, who still looked pale, gave Florence a hug and left the Anderson household.