Twelve

Catalina sighed and set the letter down. She knew it was coming. She knew it but she refused to believe it. The custody battle between her parents had begun. Neither of the adults wanted to share the girl like she was a toy. They wanted her forever. They both had reasons of why Catalina should just belong to one of them.

"I just want everything to be normal again." Catalina whispered as she reread the letter. A tear fell on the paper and made some of the ink bleed.

The door to the dormitory opened. Catalina quickly wiped her tears and hid the letter behind her. However, she couldn't hide the glassy eyes and the constant sniffing.

"Cat, what's wrong?" Florence asked. Catalina quickly shook her head.

"Nothing, everything's fine." Catalina reassured.

"Cat."

"I'm fine, Flo." Florence walked over and held out her hand.

"Give me the letter." Florence demanded. Catalina knew she could refuse, but she didn't. She handed the letter to Florence. Catalina watched as Florence's hazel eyes went over each line. When she was done Florence looked at Catalina sympathetically.

"Cat." Florence mumbled. Catalina burst into tears. Florence locked the door and walked back to Catalina. Florence sat next to Catalina on the bed and held her friend in her arms. Florence's jumper muffled Catalina's sobs.

"I-I knew it would happen. B-but I don't want it to." Catalina whimpered. Florence ran her hand up and down Catalina's back.

"I know Cat, I know."

"I'm not a toy, I'm a person. I'm their daughter!"

"Sh, it's okay Cat. It may not be right now, but it will be okay. I promise you."

Sirius and James ran away from the scene of the crime. They ran as fast as they could, desperate not to get caught. When they were far enough away they started to walk.

"Florence has a lot of catching up to do." Sirius said proudly. James shook his head.

"I don't think she's going to prank." James stated.

"What! Why not?"

"I think her exact words were, 'There's you people then Ben Kellner who prank. I can be known for being a trouble maker without pranking. It's really not that difficult.' I also think she said something about how she'd still be better than us." James shrugged.

"Huh, wonder what she's up to right now."

After Catalina stopped crying the girls left the dormitory. Florence could still tell Catalina was upset. She said she was better, but it was obvious the battle between her parents was driving her mad.

"Let me take you to my favorite place." Florence said.

"Your favorite place?" Catalina questioned. Florence smiled and gave a nod.

"My favorite place," she related. "I didn't like it at first, but now I love it!" Catalina raised an eyebrow and folded her arms.

"Where is it?" She asked.

"Just come on!" Florence grabbed Catalina's wrist and dragged her across the grounds.

"We better not be going in there!" Catalina cried as she spotted the Forbidden Forest.

"It's exactly where we're going!" Florence shouted back. Catalina rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Of course it is."

When they reached the first Florence let go of Catalina's wrist. Catalina turned to run back, but Florence grabbed the back of her robes.

"Oh, no you don't." Florence said.

"Flo, we're not supposed to be in here."

"Well, we are, so too bad. Now, are you coming or not?" Catalina sighed and followed Florence.

"Florence, aren't there Threstrals in here?"

"What are those?"

"The horses that pull the carriages. You can only see them if you've witnessed death."

"Oh, I've never witnessed death, and I certainly don't plan on it!"

"There's also—"

"CATALINA RELAX! I've been here several times. If something gets too close you run!"

"I'm not that fast."

"Well, then I guess I'm leaving you behind."

"Florence!"

"I'm kidding!" Florence said as she laughed. Catalina folded her arms.

"Not funny."

"I brought you in here to clear your mind. So, quit questioning everything or I'll feed you to one of the monsters. Now, come on! I want to show you something." Catalina hesitated for a moment, but finally agreed to go.

"Alright, I'm coming."