Chapter Seven- Demons Run

Demons run, but count the cost- the battle’s won, but the child is lost.

-          River Song, Doctor Who

John

I was still shaking when we got back to the hotel that night, replaying the scene in my head- why did I feel like I’d seen those people before- the girl especially? And what on earth had they really been doing?

Sherlock seemed rather disturbed by the incident as well, and I really sympathize for him- I hated to see his disappointment when he couldn’t figure something out- though, to be fair, this was a very rare thing.

In the middle of the night, Sherlock bolted into a sitting position.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up with him, placing a hand on his shoulder. He was panting like he’d been running for ages again.

“Sherlock? Are you okay?” My voice quivered with concern.

“Fine…”

“No, you’re not. Did you have a… flashback?” I mumbled the last part very quietly.

“No… I just...”

“Tell me.”

“Tomorrow?”

I sighed, “Fine.”

“Okay. Sorry to wake you,” he looked at me rather sadly, and I pressed my lips against his.

“It’s okay, love, I wasn’t even sleeping.”

“Oh. Why?”

“It’s stupid.”

“It isn’t to me.”

“Okay… Is it just me, or do you feel like you knew those kids from somewhere… Especially the girl? I just… I don’t know. I’ve also got a feeling that something bad is going to happen… I’m talking crap, but-”

“It’s not just you.”

“What?”

“I said it’s not just you. And you’re totally correct to feel like something’s wrong.”

Hang on- what was happening?

“There’s something I need to tell you, John,” his eyes were wide and fearful.

“Oh God… What is it?”

“Do you remember that night in Cardiff, what the killer said?”

“Vaguely.”

“He said there was-”

“- A new king.”

“You catch on quickly,” Sherlock smiled anxiously, and then his lips dropped again. I put my hand on his.

“Go on,” I whispered, feeling my heart skip a beat.

“When I was speaking to Irene outside, she… Confirmed this.”

“What do you mean?” I didn’t want to mean what I thought it would mean, but I asked anyway.

“It means he left someone behind, and somebody wants revenge…”

“… No.”

A single tear rolled from my husband’s eye.

“Yes.”

“But…”

“She said we’re safe for now- she’s got eyes on him, but the longer he sits idle, the longer he’s plotting.”