Epilogue- Twist's Tango

Those awful things are survivable as we are as indestructable as we believe ourselves to be.

- John Green

A/N- Okay, so this is the epilogue- I hope you like this chapter. It won’t hurt for you to make a few deductions, either… I like to watch you dance. :)

Sherlock

After a few peaceful days at 221b, John had decided to surprise me with a dinner date. Well, not surprise exactly- I’d deduced it that morning when I saw him scanning over his few suits and going upstairs to make a call because ‘the signal was too weak down here’. Not to mention the date shoes- still, it was a nice surprise when I first found out, and it was still a nice feeling, so I’d just put my surprise face on when we got there.

As predicted, around seven-thirty, my doctor walked out of the bedroom wearing his best suit and the date shoes. Conventionally, I’d already worn a suit for the day so I had no need to change. A smile automatically spread across my face.

“You look wonderful,” I got up to greet him and kissed his cheek.

“As do you,” he replied, the corners of his eyes crinkling with a grin.

“Date tonight?”

“Is it really that obvious?” he chuckled. I nodded, and moved a hand up to stroke his cheek. After a moment, I kissed him again- this time on the lips. It lasted for a glorious while, until John pulled back.

“We need to go- we’ve got reservations at quarter to.”

I put my own coat on, and then slipped his jacket on for him before entwining our fingers. On the way down to the cab, Mrs Hudson saw us off. She seemed slightly surprised that we were going somewhere, seeing as we hadn’t left the flat in almost a week (despite her urges).

In the cab, the driver said nothing but shot us a few disapproving glances through the window. I obviously realized not everyone would approve of people like us, but I didn’t care- I was proud of being with John, and it wasn’t like there hadn’t always been people who were thick enough to not understand that people are entitled to love whoever they love.

Still, I was able to have a bit of a laugh when John flipped the grumbling cabbie the finger as he drove away into the night.

“Some people...” John muttered.

“… Don’t matter,” I finished the sentence of for him, taking his hand again. I recognized the place we’d arrived in front of- though we’d only been in here once on a case, I remembered it as a pleasant enough experience. I’d remembered John had liked the music which I hadn’t really been paying attention to, and he’d made me try a bite of his food which was good enough from what I could recall. I’d made a mental note to bring him here again- not on a case- turned out he’d beat me to it.

“Is this place alright?” he asked before we stepped inside.

“It’s perfect.”

And so it was- until, of course, there was an unconventional interruption. Something even I hadn’t anticipated.

The evening had been progressing excellently. After we’d finished our meals and shared desert, somebody started setting up for the band. I remembered the last time we’d been here, I’d requested one of John’s favourite songs for him- but tonight they weren’t taking requests. I told him it must be a different band, seeing as the sign outside read The Scarlet Three instead of the name of the usual band.

The audience was murmuring quietly under their breaths in excited conversation. Some were irritated that their regular favourites wouldn’t be playing, but they stayed anyway. A couple even came to our table briefly and asked politely for autographs, but they dashed back when a man’s voice silenced the chatter.