Chapter 29: Unanswered phone calls...

Ring

Ring

Ring

Ring

"The phone you are calling is on an automatic voice message system..." I sigh placing my phone onto the wooden table. I'd tried six times to call Rene with no luck and it saddens me to know that she doesn't want to speak, not that she ever has. She doesn't even know that I'm pregnant, that she is going to be a grandmother.

I want to know everything from her, starting at the beginning and if she can't take the time to answer my calls I'll go talk to my sister then the elders if I have too. I'm willing to talk to anyone that can tell me about John Smith and her.

My whole life has been a lie and it makes no sense to me when I've only been given bits and pieces like it doesn't matter at all.

I feel the baby kick and hold my breath as the pain passes and I press a hand into my back to help ease the pain scooting to the edge of the chair.

"Are you alright darling?" Jasper asks walking towards me and replaces my hand with his all the while lifting me into his lap. I snuggle into him seeking comfort. Paul is out on patrol at the moment much to my dismay, but I get one on one time with Jasper.

"Yea I'll be fine. I just... I need to know about him and my mother" I tell him truthfully ever since Bella had gotten here I'd changed drastically and knowing that I'm about to be a mother has made me realize things. It isn't just me, it's us now. I can't be just a little selfish, I have to be more responsible than ever before. I need to know more about myself so that when I bring this baby into the world I can understand everything that may happen.

My father was important to our tribe and I deserve to understand everything about him and who I come from and why I can't leave.

I need to know what this destiny is i'm supposed to fulfill.

"Jasper what do you know of the war that took place in forks all those years ago?" I ask playing with the buttons on his black shirt. He places a hand on my stomach which in return the baby inside kicks. When he moved his hand back the little foot was actually visible through the pink Cammi I have on, causing me to smile even if it is stretching my tummy.

Out of all these months i'm glad I hadn't accumulated the long stretch marks some women do get during pregnancy. I guess the ointment sure gave me really does work considering it's made from natural ingredients.

"I don't want to admit it Kayla, but I had been here," he says his voice changing a bit.

"I'd been a part of it," he holds me tighter "The wolfs were getting too strong, it was easier for us vampires to try and eliminate them from existence. They were and still are our greatest threat," his voice never falters as he speaks and it's so entrancing like Billy's when he tells us the tribal stories.

"It all started when two wolves made it into Italy unscented. Wolfs can be smelt from miles away. As can we but they were a type we had never seen before. What wolf can cover its scent?" he asks me and I run my fingers through his soft hair.

"None,"

"Exactly they were Warewolfs, beast that man had let the wolf take over and still contain control, man that trusted the beast within in them."

" Sort of like Paul he trusts his wolf and allows him to take control" I say

"Sort of except Warewolfs have an insatiable thirst for their enemies and are rarely born, but bitten," like vampires do when they turn someone into one of them.

"Not unwillingly, nothing like how vampires make their own. It's all willing everything a Warewolf does is for their packs and the people,"

"Warewolfs are beast, but not monsters, people give them will to live and thrive just like their families. Unlike us vampires," it's unsettling that he sees himself as a monster and the baby moves around inside of me as if feeling his emotions causing pain in my lower back "Jasper you may take a life here and there," I mutter letting my free hand caress his cheek "but you're not a monster, you don't take life from those who deserve it," I try and reassure him but I don't know if he's listening. He's caught in the moment, in his past, in the things he's experienced.

"Those two warewolves slaughtered five of the beloved volturi leaders unnoticed and I'd allowed it. I let them in, I'd always hated the Volturi under the radar. Alice tends to overlook that I had a life before I met her and the Cullen's. I'd been witness to the slaughtering of five leaders by beast who could use powers none of vampires could ever obtain," he pauses for a moment and his eyes began to look more distant than before. The silence throughout the house is unsettling except for the sounds of the birds outside.

"They could turn invisible and use forces as if they were part sorcerers, magic," He whispered "Magic is what was being targeted in the war and being able to shape shift is that, natural magic,"

"I met you the night we raided forks and La Push. I'd followed along with the others at arrows command and I had helped save those in need, I had become a visible traitor," He pulled me close enough so he could place his face in my neck and I let him knowing he needed this. I get the feeling that what he's going to say isn't the best.

"You were a small baby inside of a pink bassinet, your name printed above it in yellow. I watched through a window finding my destination. I'd been ordered by the leader to whom I was communicating with. I watched as a vampire had gotten in, It wasn't a newborn and I couldn't watch someone or something kill a child, an innocent baby especially my mission. So I'd sped inside and killed the bastard before he could put his filthy hands on such a delicacy and I held you soothing your cries. I remember hearing your piercing wails as if you were actually dyeing, but it wasn't as loud as we had thought it was like a channeling only those who were good could hear it piercing the air and the vampire inside the room acted as if there was absolutely no noise at all,"

"I'd protected you and you protected us, your father, John Smith, did show up eventually. Your mother was nowhere to be found. He was brooding, oozed more power than myself. Major had taken over as a more dominate threat. He didn't falter even as his enemy,me, held his life in my hands and I respected that. It was mutual and I couldn't understand it was as if we were communicating that he dropped his defensive stance for just a moment and thanked me. Your father knew exactly who I was. That I was the inside man that took orders from him. He was a fierce selfless leader.I would love to tell you so much more Kayla, but it isn't my place"

"That's it?" I ask softly poking at the foot in my belly.

"You knew my father, even took orders from him"

"Your father was a great man, A man all men should have wanted to become" He mutters "He taught me about it all and I followed example"

"I don't know him, but he sounds like a great man from what i'd heard" I stand from my spot in his lap and wobble a bit loosing balance. He steadies me quickly and I chuckle. I seem to be getting saved a lot lately. I don't understand though what Jasper had followed when getting to know my father. I'm pretty sure it had to do with adding to his skill of gaining respect and knowledge of a great leader.