Chapter Twenty-Six

Florence and I were sitting in the parlor, both of us declining the offer to go hunting with the others.

Florence was on standby, in case Gabriel needed her gift for Agnes, while I was just unsure of going to hunt during the daytime.

"Gabriel must not have been happy to see you stay behind with me" Florence said, pulling at her dress sleeve.

I gave a small shrug "I don't know how to feel about hunting in the broad daylight, where anyone can see"

"I have told you before that this whole feeding situation does get better, but you won't exactly know that until you get out there and actually do it" she explained.

I nodded "I am well aware, but with everything going on, I guess playing a part in someone's death is less appealing than ever"

She took my head "Don't worry, things are bound to get better"

Annabeth walked into the parlor, looking absolutely exhausted "Florence, I need you to calm Agnes down again"

Florence nodded and left, without fighting the request.

Annabeth collapsed down into one of the chairs and moved her messy hair out of the way.

"How is Agnes doing?" I asked, knowing that me speaking was enough to spark her attitude.

She looked down "She healed much quicker than I was expecting, but mentally, she does not seem to have healed a bit"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

She sat up, straightening her posture "I fear that she may never be the same again, especially since every time someone other than me touches her, she screams bloody murder"

I frowned "Why does she scream?"

"Because she is terrified that someone is going to start feeding on her again" she said, upset.

I shook my head "I know you two are close, so it must be killing you to see her this way"

She gave me an odd look "Why do you even care about how I am feeling during all of this?"

I shrugged "Well, everyone is busy worrying over Agnes and Elsie; I just figured that someone should finally ask how you are taking all of this"

"If you must know, yes, it is killing me and every time I see how broken she is, knowing that there is nothing I can do to fix it is devastating" she replied.

I had never seen Annabeth look so vulnerable and I wondered how she managed to put on an appearance for everyone else, while I was left to notice how she really seemed.

"I want to be out hunting with everyone else, but there is nothing I can do, since I am the only one that she allows to be close to" she said, her voice cracking in the process.

Issac walked into the room, carrying a tray of blood.

He sat them down on the table and handed two to Annabeth "The darker drink is for Agnes"

Annabeth frowned "Why is the blood so dark?"

Issac cleared his throat "Gabriel said that was just fetched for her, so it is still very warm and much darker because of that"

"You could have just said it was fresh blood, Issac" she said, taking the glasses from him.

You could very well tell that she was quite frustrated by everything going on, so an answered dragged out would only irritate her even more.