|C H A P T E R 1|

I walk down the hall to my mom's room. I knock on the door.

"You ready?" I asked her.

"Not really," she said, getting off her bed. I could tell she's been crying.

"Mom, don't cry," I said, hugging her.

"I know, but you're so young! You're still my baby. I don't want you to go," she said.

"I know, but we have to do this. It's what's best," I said. I was gonna miss her, but it's time I get out on my own. And since I just finished highschool, that's even better.

Sadly, I'm not going to college.

"Okay. I'll suck it up, but only for my baby," she said, pinching my cheeks.

"Mom."

"Okay okay. Let's go," she said.

•••

We walked into the Luxury Apartments building, and I was excited. My mom walked up to the front desk, and I just sat in one of the lobby chairs.

She begged me to let her do the talking, so I just said whatever.

After a few minutes of being on my phone and looking up at her talk every once in a while, she finally came towards me and gave me a clipboard with papers on it.

"She said there's an apartment available, but it's for students, which means you'll have roommates," my mom said, sitting down beside me.

"How many rooms is it?" I asked.

"Four rooms, two baths. One of the rooms has a master bath," she said.

"How many roommates do I have to have?" I asked.

"She said some have already come to apply, and I said that was fine."

"Oh, Kay," I said. I filled out the papers and gave them back to her. She took them back up to the front desk. After a couple more minutes of talking, my mom came up to me, smiling, with her hands behind her back. She pulled her hand from behind her back, and revealed two keys on a key chain. I guess one was for the apartment and one was for the P.O. box.

"Yes!" I squealed.

The lady called us back to the desk, gave me my lease to sign, then gave me my own copy, then we left.

•••

We got back home and called a U-Haul to rent it for tomorrow. That's when I'm moving in!

I was just so excited for tomorrow that I just bathed and went to sleep. I didn't even eat. Just went straight to sleep.

•••

I woke up and it was 8:09 am. I smiled and hopped out of bed like a child on Christmas morning.

I ran to my mom's room and banged on the door. "It's time! It's time!" I yelled.

I heard the room door behind me open, which was my younger brother Chris' room door. He was sixteen.

"Time for what?" He said, sleepily.

"Me to move out," I said, smirking.

"Finally," he said, throwing his head back. He walked back into his room and closed the door.