7. Tratie part 5: You sure?

Katie

Katie

I wake up in a strange bed. Suddenly I notice a framed picture of two identical boys on a table next to my head. I sat up too fast and whacked my head on the bunk above me. This was Travis's bunk. Oh my god. Oh my god. But soon, this thought was forgotten when I realized I was alone. The Hermes Cabin is NEVER empty. What was going on?

I walked to the door and almost had a panic attack. The Seven were unconscious. The field was covered in the dead or dying. And the last remaining demigods were being circled by the seemingly millions of hellhounds, Aphaea in the midst of the monsters. I watched as she pulled out a small dagger and sliced it across the face of my sister Miranda.

I saw red. Or rather, green. Vines sprouted from the ground looping and soaring towards the monsters. All eyes swung to where I stood. The vines curled around the necks of the hellhounds before they could react. The vines grew stronger until hundreds of monsters burst into dust. I shouldn't have been able to do that. But I realized I was glowing with a green light. The Blessing of Demeter. Was that even a thing?

I felt more powerful than I had ever in my entire life. Pulling out my sword I ran it through the first line of hellhounds, vaporizing them. I sent tiny poisonous berries straight down the throats of the monsters, causing them to collapse in agony and wither on the ground.

The campers exchanged looks, picked up their swords and began to fight their way through the hellhounds that surrounded them.

My mind split into two different tasks, but even this multitasking was easier than doing one at a time. While destroying hellhounds with one hand, my other hand caused a vine to gently loop around Percy, pulling him to the water. He was instantly revived. Gaping in horror at the situation around him, he began to use his powers to wake the rest of the seven.

As he crept towards Annabeth he was coming dangerously close to Aphaea's line of vision. I had to distract her.

"Hey!" I shouted, fighting off hellhounds simultaneously. I paused. Wait. Distracting a super all powerful goddess who had knocked out the most powerful demigods of the century? While fighting off an army that had cornered a camp of half gods? I had a death wish.

"Ummmmm...." Aphaea turned to glare at me as I stammered. I froze like a deer caught in the headlights. My knees began to buckle. All of a sudden a strong arm slipped around my waist, supporting me. I looked up and saw Travis, a determined look on his face.

"You can't win." He stated simply.

"Ignorant boy." Aphaea sneered. "I have already won. I have conquered the seven." She smiled triumphantly, gesturing to the empty ground behind her where not very long ago seven demigods lay. Now the last one was regaining consciousness, and staggering to their feet.

I smiled. "You sure?"

And all hell broke lose.

Tratie Epilogue

I carefully watered the soil around the Tiger Lily. Stroking it with my finger, It grew a few inches and darkened a shade of orange as tiny green shoots poked through the rich soil. Dozens of Tiger Lilies grew to surround the original, one I had planted in front of the memorial. Turning, I saw my siblings with fingers outstretched, concentrating on slowly creating the most perfect lilies I had ever seen.

The memorial itself was simply beautiful. The base was white marble, and about four feet high. Hephaestus cabin had made it, and the bronze bowl on top of the base. Around the bowl were the names of the dead. Thankfully only three. Rose Jupion was the first name, a ruby rose inlaid next to her name. She was my half-sister and I seriously regretted not getting to know her. She was only 14.

Aaron Theourer was next, marked next to an flame shaped piece of amber. He was a quiet yet crazy talented 16 year old son of Hephaestus. He died protecting his half brother Leo, from hellhounds when the seven were unconscious.

Kalie Turner, 17 year old daughter of Hecate was the final name. A tiny diamond star that shone in the dark was embedded next to her name. When hellhounds had surrounded her best friend Aubrey, she had shielded Aubrey using the mist. Since the mist doesn't work well against alert enemies, the strain had been too much. Seconds after Aubrey had reached safety Kalie died.

Hecate cabin had lit an eternal fire inside the bowl. That's what I found so beautiful about the bowl. Not the physical beauty, but the facts that three very different cabins had banded together and created something to memorialize the fallen.

"Katie?" Someone whispered. I glanced at the figure next to me, and only when I wondered why they appeared blurry that I realized I had been crying. 

         I looked at Travis through my tears. He took my hand and led me away. And got the first time in weeks....

I smiled.