Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning on the couch. I must have been extremely tired because I was there yesterday setting up a job interview with Jeneine Melnitz, head secretary of Ghostbusters HQ. I sat up and swung my legs off the sofa. My legs jiggled as I stood, but they eventually found strength. I decided to get dressed for the interview, so I walked into my bedroom and into my closet.
My closet is filled with a lot of dark colors to match my personality and the dull, dreary skies of January in New York. I picked out a nice dark red dress and threw my large black suede trench coat overtop. I proceeded into the bathroom to control my brown bush of hair.
After standing in front of my mirror for about five minutes trying different hairstyles, I finally settled for a low ponytail. I took my contacts out and put my glasses on to seem a little more formal for the occasion. I felt confident enough to be seen in public, so I left my apartment and caught a cab.
The cab ride was quick and quiet. It was too early in the morning for human interaction, so I stared out the cab window and watched the world go by.
The cab driver signaled me that we made the stop. I paid the man and opened the cab door. The cool, January air nipped me at the nose and filled my lungs with fresh air. It seemed to boost my confidence even more. I stood up straight and headed into the firehouse with a clear head.
The place was warm and bright. Right in front of the door was the famous Ghostbusters mobile. All the sirens shined under the light hanging from the ceiling. I followed the halls and found the lobby where a woman with short brown hair, big glasses, and a black and white spotted top, sitting at a desk on the phone.
I quietly walk up to the desk and she looks up from her phone and and sees me. She holds up her index finger and mouths the words "Hold on a sec hun."
She finishes her call, hangs up and looks up at me with a smile.
"How can I help you sweetheart?"
I took a deep breath and exhaled my words.
"My name is Charlie Stevens, I called you yesterday to schedule a job interview."
She tilted her head in a puzzled way.
"You're name is Charlie?"
I always feel like I have to explain this..
" My name is Charlie, short for Charlotte. I'm here for the Job interview."
Her eyes lit up and she pointed at me. She shuffled the papers on her desk and got up to shake my hand.
" I'm glad your here, Charlie. The only reason I'm head secretary is because I'm the ONLY secretary. You're basically a Godsend, hun. Now take a seat to get this interview started."
I sat down on the chair and answered all of her questions to the best of my ability. About fifteen minutes go by and everything was going well. Until we both hear loud footsteps coming down the stairs. We turn around to see Raymond Stanz followed by Egon Spengler. For some reason, I got very excited. Jeneine stood up and so did I. "Ray, Egon. This is Charlotte. But she goes by Charlie. Shes here for the job interview."
Both Ray and Egon got excited. Ray greeted me with a warm "Welcome aboard, Charlie!" And Egon gave me a crooked smile. His teeth were straight and white. Ray held out his hand for a handshake and I took it. It was strong, but gentle. When I shook Egons' hand, my stomach did somersaults and I could feel my face getting hot... I was blushing!! He shot me another crooked smile and slowly let go of my hand. This man didn't seem like a womanizer, but he didn't have to do much to make my heart leap.
They left the room and Jeneine gave me my desk, set up my computer and hooked up my phone.
"Alright, hun, you're ready to go! If and when you get a call, read the questions off this flashcard, write down the answers, find a day where we are free, and set up an appointment. Got it? Good. Best of luck to ya. If you have any problems with your computer or something, make sure to ring Egon. He's good with that stuff and he will fix it for you. I'm going on break, bye hun!"
I felt overwhelmed, but also clear headed. I waited for a call, and eventually....
*Ring Ring!*
"Ghostbusters, how may I help you?"
It sounded like a poor old man who smoked for half his life.
"Hello? Yes, I'm calling because there have been things moving in my house. I think my refrigerator is on the roof!"
I felt bad for the man, so I tried to help him out as best as I could. I asked him questions, wrote down his answers and the last step was to book an appointment for the poor old man. I pulled up the file on my computer and began to type. I looked at the card to copy the information and looked back at the screen to see it flashing... Flashing... Flashing... Then it went black.
"I'm terribly sorry, sir. My computer is malfunctioning. Can you please hold?"
I put the phone down to go onto another line. I phoned Egon and waited for the ring.
"Hello?"
"Oh.. Um. Egon?... It's Charlie. I need some assistance..?"
"What happened?"
"My computer... It shorted out or something, I have some poor man on hold and I cant book his appointment. Can you help me? "
"Of course, Charlie. I will be right down."
I hear the slightly familiar thud of feet going down the stairs. I looked up to see Egon with a toolbox. He smiles at me.
"Now, whats the problem?"
"It's, umm.. My computer."
I pointed at the computer and Egon turned his head to look where I was pointing.
"Say no more. I'll fix it, Charlie."
Egon walks behind me, with his white lab coat flapping behind him. He pulls my chair out, and climbs right under the desk!
"So do you want me to mo- oh! No, I guess you're just gonna, oh, okay."
Egon chuckles.
"So what exactly brings you here, Charlie?"
I laugh at Egon attempting to make small talk.
"I have been job hunting recently because I just got out of college last year. I quit my job as a waitress and I've been struggling to get by.."
"Yes, I understand that much. But why did you choose to come work with us? In need of a steady paycheck?"
"Yes, and also, I have always wanted to meet you guys. Not just because you're famous, but because you seem very intelligent and interesting. I would love to get to know you. I probably sound like the biggest dork, but it's true. You're all very intriguing."
Egon looked up at me and stood on his knees, grabbed the arm rests on my chair for balance, and leaned in so close that our noses were almost touching.
"Charlie, there is nothing wrong with being dorky, because you're being you."
My face flushed, and I was at a loss for words.
"I.. Uh.. Umm.. I'm fogging up your glasses, Egon..."
He leans back and takes his glasses off and wipes them on his sleeve. When he puts them back on he smiles at me.
"That's better, now I can see you clearly."
I blush again and Egon goes back under the table.
"Do you read, Charlie?"
"I used to. When I was in college, I had a knack for fiction. And I would spend my time reading short stories about knights and dragons and fair maidens. It was fun. But now I just think print is dead."
Egon shot up and hit his head on the desk. He sat up again and turned around.
"I think print is dead too. Do you have any hobbies?"
"Well... I.. I used to collect different kinds of mushrooms and examine them for my own benefit. I was a busy person in college.. What about you Egon?"
"I used to collect spores, molds, and fungus.. I was examining them for a theory I had years ago that they would multiply quicker if injected with testosterone."
I was fascinated with Egon so much that I couldn't wait to have more conversations with him. He was so brilliant. He went back under the desk and after about two minutes, he came back out and put his tools back into his toolbox.
"Your computer should be running fine now. Call me if you need anything. I will be upstairs with Ray."
I turned my computer back on, got the man his appointment booked, and went through the rest of my day with no problems. Egon is a total life saver.