Chapter 11

I woke up back in my bed to the sound of whispering. The familiar voices of middle aged men, a man with a weak voice, a woman with a thick New-Yorker accent, and a man that I loved. I pushed the button that was hooked up to the bed and the slow incline dimmed the whispers. I felt eyes on me and I thought to lighten the mood. I began to laugh maniacally.
"Mr. Bond.... I've been expecting you.."
     It forced some laughs out of everyone in the room. I looked over at Ray who was coming over to the left side if my bed. He sat down and took my hand in his. He looked at me with a genuine look of worry and something else.
"I'm so glad you are okay. You aren't going to believe what happened."

(A/N I'm gonna try something new! Different POV's! I'm gonna do it for this chapter only. LMK if you guys like it or not!)

*Ray's POV*
     I put down the phone after Charlie was screaming at me. I could only assume it to be about Egon. I ran up the stairs of the containment facility and yelled for the guys.
"HEY! GUYS! GET THE ECTO RUNNING! EGON IS IN TROUBLE!"

      All three of them were in the lobby in ten seconds flat. The Ecto-1 roared as all of us jumped in. I took the drivers seat, Winston was in the passenger, and Peter sat in the back, but he leaned forward and turned on the siren- which I forgot to do. My mind was racing about Charlie... And Egon, Charlotte means a lot to me... she is a great friend. I just couldn't stop thinking about Charlotte, I hope she is taking care of Egon... I hope she is okay.

     We pulled up to Charlie's apartment building, I didn't even bother to grab my proton pack. I almost forgot Egon wasn't there because I expected him to yell a lecture my way. But I didn't care. Her face, her laugh, her smile. Everything I knew... and loved about her just replayed in my mind. Of course, I would never tell Charlotte that. She belongs with Egon... Saying that left a bitter taste in my mouth.

     "Ray. Who are you kidding. You know the truth. She doesn't. Egon is just using her..."
     "But what if he's not. What if he changed his mind. What if he changed?"
     "You can't think like that. You would be giving up on the woman you love. Why would you let it slip that easy?!"
     "Charlotte's happiness is all that matters to me. If she won't have me then it is for a good reason. I could never hold her from happiness."

     And with that- I broke down the door to the apartment. It was the first time I ever saw it. It was beautiful. But I couldn't focus on home decor, I called out Charlotte's name as the thundering of work boots barreled down the hallway. I heard muffled screaming coming from a back room. I was getting ready to run towards it when Winston bolted past me and kicked the door in.

      What I saw horrified me. She kneeled over his body which leaked blood and seeped through the cracks of her tile. The blanket was ripped off her bed and a corner of it was soaked in blood, a shirt that was thrown to the side- soaked in blood- and how she sat shirtless over his body, screaming out sobs. She looked up at us and managed to make eye contact with me. Her face went pale white as Winston and Peter rushed to her aid. I tried to focus on Egon, but at the moment, I wanted to be the one that carried her out into an ambulance. I wanted to be the one that rode the ambulance with her to the hospital. I wanted to be there for her when Egon couldn't.

    "Guys! I can't focus on Egon. I need you two to take him!"

Without a moments hesitation, we switched spots, I would never forget what I saw.

     Charlotte's face gave in a sickly color of green, her eyes rolled to the back of her head, and she collapsed onto the floor just before I could catch her. I looked over to Winston and Peter to make sure Egon was in good hands. Winston managed to bandage him up.

     "Have you stopped the bleeding, Winston?"
"Wasn't hard, also the little vixen managed to stop most of it with the duvet... we need to renovate..."

     Peter looked over to Winston and gave him a confused look,

     "Really? The first thing you think of is renovating the apartment when what it needs is a fucking exorcism! Egon looks like a bleeding slinky with the gashes in his back and Charlotte looks like she dumped eggshell white all over her body with green contour! We are coming back tomorrow with proton packs and a goddamn priest!"

    I looked over to Peter who was red in the face, enraged.

    "If it wasn't for Egon, Charlotte wouldn't be here, she wouldn't be hurt, and Egon wouldn't be on the edge of death! If anything, Ray, this is your fault! You let Egon carry this out! We all can't help but feel bad for the poor girl. We all know! Goddamn even Louis knows! You let this happen Ray!"

     I couldn't believe the words coming out of Peter's mouth. I was tempted to place Charlotte on the bed, but she was more important than a pointless fight with my best friend. So I took a deep breath. 

    "Shut your goddamn mouth you man-whore. You should be focusing on the man who is- and I quote- 'on the edge of death' so how about you treat it as such you fucking moron."

     I stared him dead in the face as the redness dulled. He tended to Egon and I turned towards the doorway. Winston called after me as I looked carefully down at Charlotte.

   "Hey, Ray. Make sure you call two busses. They both need hospice care."

    "Yeah. I'm not stupid."

   I exited the building with Charlotte in my arms. I held her there as I looked around for a place for her to lie. I noticed the warm summer grass beside a park bench, and I laid her down. Her head lifelessly fell to the side. My heart sank in my chest as I watched her rhythm of breathing stray further from normal. I called 911 and gave the address of Charlotte's apartment and waited for the sirens to draw closer in the distance. I looked over to Charlotte again and bent down close to her face. I put my lips close to her ear and whispered out:

     "I love you so much, Charlotte... But you obviously seem happier with Egon... I will be patient and waiting for you when you realize your mistake. See you in the hospital."

I kissed her cheek and Waited for the ambulance.