Chapter 7

My shift at my first day back had ended at around 8pm. Like every other day, the same people clocked out at the same time. First Peter, always ready to leave to spend time with Dana. Next Ray, rubbing his eyes with hands covered in soot and oil with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. Then Winston, who never fails to shoot me a smile before he leaves. Janine and Louis always walk out after Egon, but surprisingly they hurried out with no time to waste. I sat back in my chair and tilted my head up to the ceiling, only to see the bulb in the lamp above my desk to dim and then brighten.
     I heard someone clear their throat, so I tilted my head up to see Egon standing there, slightly slouched. His suspenders made a divot in his shoulders and his trench coat was carelessly slung over his arm. He looked at me above the rim of his glasses and smirked just a little.
"You ready for that coffee?"
I slouched in my seat and furrowed my brow. I relaxed my face and packed up my things.
"Yeah... home doesn't feel much like home right now so I might as well go..."
We clocked out and exited the firehouse and walked across the street to the café and sat in a booth.
     After we both ordered, Egon and his longing gaze made me slightly red. Our coffees were brought to our table, and I just stared blankly into my cup. Egon adjusted his position so he was leaning on the table- closer to me. He put his hand on my chin and lifted my head up. My heart leaped when I met his gaze. 
"Can we talk?" 
"Why? I avoided you like the plague my first day back and you want to talk?"
    "I know that your first day back was not as welcoming as you wanted. And I know that you think you hurt me.."
"Because I did, Egon. Or you just never emoted before and your brain was confused"
    "Charlotte, why are you being so rude?"
"Because nobody wants me here anymore. The most conversation I got today was when Janine dropped a stack of papers on my desk while giving me nothing more than a grunt of dissatisfaction. Nobody gave me so much as a 'hello!' Or a 'welcome back, Charlie!' "
    "Except for me... I mean.. I don't like to toot my own horn, but... I diiid ask you for coffee."
    I sat back in the booth and stared at Egon, confused. I leaned in again and whispered.
"Why did you ask me for coffee, Dr. Spengler?"
The tone in my voice was hollow, and I addressed him in such a formal way, that he almost looked offended. He quickly opened his mouth to say something- surely to argue- but closed his mouth and regained his composure. He leaned in a little closer with a smirk  and his deep, rich voice sent chills up my spine.
    "Because, I wanted to give you a nice welcome back, besides... I'm the only one that you are romantically involved with in the office.. Charlotte."
   My face became hot and my heart rate increased... But the comeback that popped in my head felt like it would end up extremely rewarding. I asked my question suggestively and slyly.
"The only thing that can make my day better, is your forgiveness.. Dr. Spengler."
     Egon's face began to turn a light shade of pink, but he gave me his trademark crooked smile and leaned in, but just before we made contact, he chuckled and whispered deeply,
   "How about I take you home, Charlotte."
We leave the café with a tip on the table, but the coffee remained untouched.
We caught a cab straight to my apartment building. I blankly stared out the window of the taxi cab, but turned to look at Egon who was giving me an odd look that I had never seen him- or any man for that matter- give me before... it was almost as if he was concentrating on the features of my face, or he was in deep thought.. When we made eye contact he didn't blush, but he just turned away and looked out of his window..
     We made it to the apartment and got an elevator to my floor. We make it to my apartment and I turn to Egon with a smile stretched across my face.
"Thank you for taking me home, Egon."
"Oh now you wanna call me Egon."
    "I was just being stubborn... I'm really glad you took me out. It means a lot to know that you care."
"Of course Charlotte... Now back to our regularly scheduled programming."
    He put his hand under my ear on my neck and quickly but carefully pushed me against the door. He brought his lips to mine and kissed me passionately. I felt around the door with my right hand and touched the doorknob. I twisted it and we fell into my apartment as I swung my left arm around his shoulder.
     Things were getting intense as Egon swiftly removed my coat and his. The passion was rising and it felt like the pressure on my shoulders had been lifted, all that mattered to me was having this moment with this man.
    Egon let out a grunt and broke the kiss just while things were getting intense.
"Charlotte, the day you left, I wanted to give you something as a gift."
Egon reached into his vest pocket, and pulled out a silver charm bracelet with the Empire State Building and two hearts next to each other. I stared at Egon with a surprised look as he took my wrist and put on the bracelet.
"Did you wait for me to come back to give me this..?"
"It never left my vest pocket after all this time."
  I looked at the charm bracelet with a soft smile and looked up at Egon, who bent down to give me another kiss. My eyes felt heavy and I hugged Egon and began to fall asleep in his arms.
    With a swift motion, I felt Egon's strong arms lift me from my standing sleep and carry me into my room. He laid me down on my bed and moved my frizzy hair and kissed my forehead. I felt him lay next to me and I turned to him and put my head on his chest. Egon put one of his arms around me and the other held my hand. The last thing I heard before I fell asleep was a faint "I love you Charlotte..."