Chapter 10

I only felt my body pressed against the soft sheets on what felt like a hospital bed. The unique shape of my body was warming the sheet underneath, almost mirroring my body. I opened my eyes to a bright light with a tint of yellow. It was eerie, I couldn't really hear, I only made out muffled voices from what I assumed were the boys or some doctors, or nurses. (Or I was just insane.)
     My eyes wanted to shut again, and I was too drained to protest. I fell asleep once more.

     Once I woke up again, the lights seemed to dim, my hearing was no longer fuzzy, I could hear whispers of doctors and nurses walking along the halls, trying not to disturb patients, I could hear the rolling of wheels that belonged to gurneys, I heard the beeps of equipment in the room. I could feel the heat of my pillow, I felt the needle in my arm. I felt a hospital gown on my chest that scraped against me as I tried to move. I shifted my head and followed the tube that fed my body antibiotics, up to a bag with liquid. I saw a monitor and right next to that, words on a whiteboard that read-
"Monitor closely, possibility of PA - Call GB."

     I tried to decipher the initials and I deduced the possibility of PA meaning "Paranormal Activity" and GB meaning "Ghost Busters".. I felt weird. I felt as though I was forgetting something..

  Egon.

     I frantically look around the room and to the left of me was another bed. One I could only assume to be his... Upon further inspection, I noticed the brown hair, his glasses on the nightstand next to his bed. His sheets covered him from the waist down and was wrapped up in bandages from the waist up. He was pale, his face was sunken. His bed was within arms reach, which made me feel better than having to view him from across the room. I wanted to know if he was awake, so I began to whisper out to him just to see.

     "Egon..."
no response...
     "Dr. Spengler."
no response...

     He showed no signs of waking any time soon, so I just looked up at the ceiling.

     A few minutes went by and I was reaching the point of feeling like I needed to sleep. I stretched both of my arms, I felt something touch my hand. I turned to see him looking over at me with a warm glow in his cheeks. He slid his hand into mine and I smiled. He spoke with a raspy voice, but with confidence.

     "Hello Charlotte..."
"Hi..."
     "Are you alright?"
"I should be asking you that..."
     "Well I'm better."
"Good.. I'm glad..."
     "Now that I can look at you face to face.."
"How long have you been awake?"
     "Long enough to study your features to the point where they are engraved into my brain."
"Egon, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault."
      "It's fine. Up until that point where I ruined your cherry oak tile, everything was pretty wonderful."
"Egon, I... um..."
     "I love you too Charlotte... So much..."

     Egon continued to look my way as his eyes closed once more. I mimicked his actions and closed my eyes as well. We fell asleep together with our hands intertwined. For the longest time I felt safe.

I woke up to my bladder practically screaming at me. I sat up in my bed and pulled the covers off. I grabbed my IV fluid stand and rolled it towards the bathroom. I noticed my reflection in the mirror and noticed how my complexion cleared, my face filled out, I no longer seemed mal-nourished. I looked.. happy. Ever since my return, I seemed to have gotten better. Almost as if he brings health to me, like I need his presence to survive.. I pushed the thoughts to the side and did my business.
     I walked out and glanced over at his bed. The rhythmic breathe in- breathe out gave me  a very therapeutic sensation. I walked over to his bed and sat down next to him. I put my hand in his and I could feel him squeeze. He turned my way and gave a faint smile.

      "Stay.."

   I carefully laid on his chest and he wrapped his arms around my torso. We breathed in unison and neither of us wanted to get up... well at least I didn't.

"Um... Egon?"
"Hm?"
"My back is starting to hurt..."
"Here..."

His hand travelled further down my back and pressed around asking what felt uncomfortable. He shimmied to the side leaving an open space small enough for me. I squeezed in and he put his arm around me and pulled me close to him. As I laid on his chest, I felt another wave of sleepiness wash over. My eyelids became heavy and I drifted off to sleep. Once again, without fail, I felt a kiss on my head and a deep voice whispering the words

"I love you, Charlotte..."