Chapter 19

Egon's POV:

      It's been months since I've last heard from Charlotte. She won't speak to me, return any of my calls, or even show up around town. I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't left her apartment. While she refuses to accept my apology, I've been moping about in the firehouse doing nothing but occupying time and space. The monitor on my screen stays on, with the one thing that was destined to fail me- not on a scientific level of course, but an emotional one. I've refused to work on it, even if all of my colleagues say otherwise. It's a slap in the face. It disgusts me.
     As strange as it sounds coming from me, I really do miss her. I think I'm only making the situation worse by actively choosing not to leave the firehouse, but I really don't want to go outside. Since Charlotte left, we've gotten about five times the normal amount of phone calls we usually get, but the more the outside world demands me to work, the more I desire to shut myself away and recede back into my new comfort zone.
Maybe I just need to get more sleep...
Who the hell am I kidding, if I'm not eating or pissing, I'm sleeping. But what else do I have left to do that doesn't make my soul feel like it's being wrung dry like a towel?

     I slowly drag my feet into the bedroom and into the connected bathroom. It's been the first time I've looked at my face in a long time. I started growing a beard, my hair got a little bit longer- and greasier. My glasses were caked with dirt and grime...
I don't give a shit... just go to bed.

     I plop into my bed that already has an imprint of my body- since I've been sleeping so much. I didn't even take off my glasses. I just covered myself with the blanket and prayed to whatever God would listen to me.

Please don't make me have the dream again...

I slowly close my eyes and doze off to sleep.

Egon....

Egon!

Dr. Spengler~~

This oatmeal is amazing Egon!

Please stay the night, I don't want to feel alone..

You woke me up at 4am for valentines day?

My mother is dead. I'm leaving you here to spend time with my father.

Please don't leave me! I love you too much!

You make me so happy, I don't know what I would do without you.

Merry Christmas, Egon... I love you so much.

I'm just an experiment to you....

I will never let you hurt me like that again.

I never want to see you again...

GET OUT OF MY LIFE!

"The phone number you are trying to reach is no longer available, please try your call again."

Egon... please... help me...

Egon... it's dark... I'm scared...

Egon please... where are you?

Please wake up....

Wake up...

Wake up!

WAKE UP!

      I shoot up out of bed. My glasses slip off my face from the gallons of sweat seeping out of every pore on my body. It was the same dream.

But the ending was different.