Chapter 4

My eyes slowly lifted halfway. Once again I woke up on the couch, but with a twist. I wasn't alone. I felt the blanket on top of me and I sat up to the smell of oatmeal. I turned around to see Egon stirring two bowls of oatmeal. He was wearing his white undershirt and his suspenders on his shoulders. He looks up and smiles.
"Good morning, Charlotte." 
I pull off the cover and stand off the couch and walk to the counter where he was standing.
"Well what's all this, Egon?"
He looks up again and hands me a warm bowl of oatmeal with the spoon on top
"It's breakfast, Charlotte. I make some damn good oatmeal so eat up."
I smiled at Egon and put a spoonful in my mouth. The flavor spread all onto my tongue. It was sweet and warm. I took another bite and closed my eyes. This was incredible. It felt like liquid gold inside my mouth and I loved it.
"Oh my god.. This is incredible, Egon. You are an oatmeal wizard."
He chuckles and takes a spoonful from his bowl and holds it in front of me.
"You should try mine. I made myself a different flavor."
I was reluctant, but I leaned in and he fed me the oatmeal. It was just as warm but it had cinnamon, with a small taste of sweet honey. I closed my eyes and melted with the oatmeal. He looks at me as I melt and laughs.
"You must really like my oatmeal. I'm surprised, I've never had anyone try it before so I never expected to get that reaction."
I wiped my mouth with a napkin and went back to my oatmeal.
"Egon... You are an oatmeal wizard and I love it."
We both finish our breakfast and I walk to the bathroom to get a shower.
     I turn the water on and step in the shower. I hear the door open to the bathroom and Egon was poking his head through the door
"Charlotte?.. Do you have any extra toothbrushes?"
I poke my head out from behind the curtain and see Egon's eyes get wider.
"Yeah, they are in the medicine cabinet by the sink. You can use my toothpaste and brush your teeth there."
Egon blushes and stutters
"Uhh, are you sure you don't want me to wait until you finish? Or I brush my teeth in the kitchen?"
My face had an 'are you kidding me?' Expression and spoke up.
"That's ridiculous, Egon. You can brush your teeth in here, and it won't bother me."
I went back to my shower and heard Egon step in the bathroom. I heard him turn the faucet on and brush his teeth. I shut the water off and grabbed my towel from behind the curtain, wrapped myself up, and stepped out to see Egon turned around with wide eyes and a toothbrush hanging out of his mouth. I looked over and laughed at his reaction. I walked over to him while gripping my towel in place
"Egon, I want to thank you for staying over.. For making me feel safe.. For the God-like oatmeal.. It was all incredible and I appreciate everything."
He looked down at me and gave me his original crooked smile, and pulled me in for a hug.
"Egon! Don't! I'm still wet, I'll get your shirt soaked!"
He laughed and took a deep breath
"I don't care about that, Charlotte. I only care about keeping you safe. That is my main priority."
I tucked my towel in so it would stay in place, wrapped my arms around Egon's waist and returned the affection. I could feel his heart leap in his chest and He hugged me tighter. He let go and I felt my towel slip down! Egon's face went bright red and he turned his head as I scrambled for cover, but I was laughing too hard.
     Once I retrieved my towel, I stood back up and brushed my hair away from my face.
"Something in me knew that would happen... Whoops..."
Egon cleared his throat and he smiled nervously at me. He took my hand and lead me out of the bathroom and into my bedroom. I got nervous, but he sat me on the bed and walked to my closet.
"Uh, Egon? What exactly are you doing?"
He turned his head to look at me and smiled.
"I'm picking out your outfit for lunch today... But you don't seem to have any bright colors.."
He stared at my closet with his arms crossed.
"Yeah.. I don't really wear bright colors.. Or short cut dresses. They make me uncomfortable."
He searched through my closet once more and pulled out a navy blue t-shirt and grabbed my white jeans. He bent down to look at the shoe rack and pulled out my black boots. He placed them on the bed and crossed his arms, then put his and on his chin.
"I want you to put that on for the day. It will look great on you."
I looked down at the outfit and picked up the navy blue t-shirt. I remembered buying this shirt at the end of college. Its shoulders came down and would be horizontal with the neck of the shirt. I looked back up at Egon and was a bit confused.
"Are you sure, Egon? It's a bit... Provocative for this occasion, don't you think?"
He pressed his bottom lip up to his top making a funny frown.
"You don't like it? I can choose something else."
He went back to the closet and picked up another navy blue shirt but it was long sleeved and thick like a sweater.
"I like that. Let me go put it on."
     I came back out with the outfit and his expression lit up with joy. I laughed and grabbed my black trench coat.
"Well, I'm ready Egon.. Are you ready?"
Egon bent down to grab his vest and coat. We head out my front door, to the lobby, and run to the sidewalk to catch a cab.
     Egon opens the door and I hop in. He gets in as well and closes the door and smiles at me.
"Ready for lunch, Charlotte?"
I looked out the dirty window of the Taxi cab and sighed.
"I'm a little nervous.. But I guess I'm ready."
Egon wore a puzzled expression and leaned in to make eye contact.
"Charlotte, they're going to love you. Trust me."
He places his hand on top of mine and smiles. I blush and turn back to the window smiling.

Once we pulled up to the mystery location (which happened to be a basic diner), I couldnt help but notice Ecto-1 right in front of the entrance. I saw Ray, Winston, Janiene, Peter, and another lady who sat next to Peter on the bench next to the window of the diner. She was about as tall as Peter, she had brown curly hair, and she was very pretty and Peter seemed to really like her... Must be his girlfriend. Egon opened the cab door to let me step out. I must have turned heads because Egon instantly put his arm around my waist and the faces settled.
     Winston sat up from leaning on the car and walked up with his hand outstretched for a handshake. I took his hand and the manly grip I expected turned into a gentle handshake. Winston's smile was contagious and he introduced himself with a soft tone. Next came Ray, who I had already met, greeted me with his traditional bright smile and a casual "Hey, Charlie." . Egon walked me over to Peter who gave me a smirk and a wink. I awkwardly returned the smile and turned my attention to the woman behind him.
"Hello, Charlie. My name is Dana Barrett, Peter's girlfriend. Soon enough these guys will start to feel like family."
I spoke up as I shook her hand
"Haha, trust me. I already feel welcome!"
We all gathered into the diner and I looked up at Egon who was smirking down at me. I smirk back and move closer into Egon as the waitress got our table.
     I sit in a chair next to Egon, Across from Ray. I look up to see Ray gazing at me. I laugh and he snaps out of his little trance and looks back down at his menu. I turn to the sound of Egon laughing while looking at his menu.

     After we got our food and multiple jokes were exchanged by the boys, (and a few exchanges of looks between me and Egon) we sat back and enjoyed our lunch. A belch was heard at the end of the table and we see Peter holding his chest while surprisingly glancing over at Dana.
"Dana Barret!"
Peter exclaimed. Dana looks up from her plate with a confused look and everybody laughed.
"What? What did I do? Oh! Pete! You little!.."
She playfully punches Peter on the arm as he holds his stomach laughing.

     We all walk out of the diner in pairs, first, Peter and Dana. Then, Ray, Winston and Janiene. Last, Egon and I walk out. I felt something slip into my hand. I look down to see Egon's fingers intertwined with mine. I look back up and Egon's face is a bright pink. Am I falling for this man? I give him a smile and he looks back at the street for a cab.
     Once we got back to the apartment, I was ready for a nap. Egon and I walked to the front door of my apartment and I turn to Egon who was still smiling.
"I had a great time, Egon. I am overwhelmed with all of your welcoming energy."
     "Im glad you had fun, Charlotte. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.."
     Egon takes my hands and looks me in the eyes. I stare back up at him and his body language wasn't hard to read. He places his hand on my cheek and rubs my face with his thumb. I feel my face getting hot and my heart began to race. He leans down a bit reluctantly and jerks his head back. I look up and his face is red too. I was ready and I could tell he was nervous. I have already grown sick of the tension. Egon takes a big breath and exhales his words.
"Oh to hell with it."
He pulls me in and kisses me passionately as if he was waiting his whole life for this moment. As soon as we collide my heart leaps in my chest and I return the kiss. I swing my arm on Egon's shoulder and the wind seemed to push us closer together and the kiss went on for what felt like hours. His lips were warm and soft and his body radiated a nervous but relieved feeling. We broke apart and his eyes were still closed. I peck him on the lips and he smiles and opens his eyes just a tad.
"See you tomorrow, Egon..."
I let go of his hands and he looks at me as I walk away. I get up to the revolving door of my apartment building and wave goodbye. Egons face goes a subtle shade of crimson and he waves back slowly.

I'm definitely falling for this man.