Chapter 3

The end of the day was quiet. I guess the settling of phone calls, running up and down the stairs, and coming in and out of the door, once they stop, the energy calms as well. It feels good and I feel safe. Jeneine walks through the bathroom door and up to my desk with a simple smile.
"How was your first day, Charlie?"
I straightened the papers on my desk and put the cover over my computer and wipe my hands.
"It was great. Everyone is so nice... Especially Egon and Ray... Which reminds me! Where were Peter and Winston? I haven't gotten the chance to meet them!"
Jeneine rolled her eyes and chuckled.
"Oh. Those two? They were actually out all day doing interviews and going to Birthday parties.. I'm surprised we still do those, actually."
I still felt disappointed because I wanted to meet all of them before I left. Just as I stood, Egon and Ray came down the stairs again. Egon looks at me and smiles. Jeneine waves the key in their faces and talks to them in a stern tone.
"Are you two slowpokes ready to close up yet?! I've been waiting so long that I have had enough time to use the bathroom!"
They both chuckle and Ray holds up a casual but defensive pose.
"Look, we wouldn't been here sooner, Jeneine... but hopeless romantic over here wouldn't stop talking about our newest member." 
Ray gestures over to Egon who gives him a 'did you seriously just say that?!' Look and shoves him. Ray laughs hysterically and finds his balance. He stands upright and looks my direction and winks at me. I couldn't contain myself and I started laughing.
     As we walk out the front doors, Ray pulls me aside to talk to me.
"So, Charlotte, how was your first day with us?"
I was slightly annoyed with him calling me Charlotte, but I didn't let it get to me.
"It's... Charlie. But I think I'm gonna like it here! You are all so much fun!"
Ray puffed out his chest a bit and his cheesy grin grew.
"Well.. Charlie!.. I'm very glad you like it here. But we are going to give you an official welcome tomorrow! All of us are supposed to be in HQ and we are all going out for lunch to get to know you! How's that sound?"
I think my stomach jumped at the thought of getting to meet all of the Ghostbusters. I was so excited to meet them because I've already been blown away by Ray and Egon. I can't imagine what Peter and Winston will be like.
"That's great! I'm super excited, Ray! Oh.. You are all so kind. But.. Ray, can I ask you something?"
Rays smile faded just a tad and he adjusted his stance.
"Yeah, of course Charlie. What's going on?"
"Ray, were you serious when you said Egon was talking about me?"
"Dead.. After he left to help you with your computer, he came back and asked me questions like 'what do you think about her?' ... 'Do you think I I would stand a chance with her?' ... 'Should I ask her out?' ... That man. The surprising thing about all of this is that he constantly focuses on work. Egon being distracted by a woman is not the norm for him.. He was also talking about sending you a welcome message on your Email. He's definitely interested in you. But, then again.. Who wouldn't be. You're very pretty, and well put together..."
Ray was staring at me with his mouth partially open. His face was lined with stripes of soot. He was... A very handsome man. But it was getting late and I needed to go home.
"Thank you so much for telling me, Ray. You really are a sweetheart."
I leaned in and kissed his cheek. He lifted his hand to touch his cheek and smiled with his mouth open. I could see his cheeks turn a bright pink.
"I'll see you tomorrow, Ray. Sleep well tonight."
He watched me walk away down the street while still touching his cheek.
     I heard footsteps behind me while walking. I turned around to see Egon running behind me trying to get my attention.
"Hey! Charlie! Wait!"
I stopped and waited for Egon to catch up. Once he got up to me, he was almost out of breath.
"...Charlie... I wanted... To... Talk to you..."
A large gust of wind hit my back and practically pushed me into Egon. I almost fell until he caught me from the fall. He stood me back up but our bodies were closer. He spotted a strand of hair on my face and brushed it away. His hands were soft and warm. I felt myself blushing and his eyes widened. He let go of me and backed up about two feet.
*Ahem* "So.. Charlie... Did Ray tell you about tomorrow's lunch?"
I started to walk down the sidewalk with Egon.
"Yes, actually. He told me before I left.. You are both so kind.. I'm very excited for the future."
Egon glanced at me with an adorkable look and kept walking.
"I am too, Charlie.."
The wind blew harder and was tossing me all around. My suede trench coat was not doing me justice and my body shivered. Egon turned my way and had worry written all over his face. He held my arm and slowly pulled me in to keep me warm. I could smell his cologne on his jacket. His chest was right next to my head and I was taken by surprise. I looked up at him with wide eyes and he looked down at me.
"What? There's a cold going around and I don't want you to get sick."
I figured Egon was going to walk me to my apartment. But I didn't object to it. We just talked and talked about nothing in particular. Soon enough we made it to my apartment.
"Egon.. Do you want to come inside? I have tea."
Egon gave me a smile and nodded his head.
"Yeah... I would like that."
He followed me through the lobby and into the elevator. Once the door closed he turned to me and the tone in his voice changed completely.
"Do you like Ray?"
"Wha- where did that come from?!"
"It's coming from me seeing you talking with Ray, then kissing him on the cheek before you left. You just met him, Charlie. And plus I already told him I wanted to..."
His worried voice trailed off. I looked up at him and put my hand on his arm. He looked down at me and his brow was scrunched and his eyes were red. Was he about to cry? I wasted no time. I pulled him in and wrapped my arms around his waist. I buried my head into his chest and hoped he would hear me. "It's okay, Egon. I like Ray as a friend. That kiss on the cheek was a thank you.... Nothing more than a thank you."
Egon sputtered his breaths as he inhaled and attempted to control his breath.
"Okay... I believe you, Charlie... Now I want that tea more than ever."
I laughed and we exited the elevator on my floor. We walked to my apartment laughing and I open the door.
"Sorry about the mess, Egon. I just have a bunch of coats laying around."
I gather up the coats and throw them on my bed. When I walk back into the living room, Egon was standing there looking around, then turned to look at me.
"This is a lot of space for just one girl. Don't you ever feel lonely?"
I shrugged my shoulders and walked over to the cabinet with the tea and cups.
"I don't know... Sometimes I feel a little dull. But I enjoy my privacy. I don't have to worry about anyone catching me dancing in my underwear at 2:30 am."
Egon laughed and sat down on the edge of the couch. I came in with the two cups of tea and sat next to Egon. Our knees were touching and we just talked and talked.
"So wait Charlie, you mean to tell me that you haven't had a legitimate boyfriend since senior year?"
"That's correct, Egon. And he wasn't even that good of a boyfriend. I caught him cheating three times and he still denied it. He was a real piece of work, that man. I don't think he will ever know what true love is..."
"Well why didn't you just move on? That's something you would usually do."
"I did move on. I found my own happiness and I now know that I don't need anyone. Yes, it's wonderful to be in a relationship, but its one thing to be in one where you both love each other the same. It's another when it's one sided."
Egon sat up and took another sip of his tea, put it on the coffee table and looked up at me.
"Charlie, you are a fascinating young woman. I would love to spend more time with you. I think it would be great if yo-"
His sentence was cut short by the familiar sound of running water. We both turn to look at the sink to see the sink running.
"Oh, geez. This keeps happening. Why is it doing this?"
We both get up off the couch. I walk over to the sink and shut the water off I turn around to see Egon with a terrified expression on his face.
"How long has that been going on?"
I was caught off guard but I guess he was just curious.
"Well, it's been going on for a little while. It's not just the faucet, sometimes I hear footsteps and whistling. I've only been scratched once, and that was when  I had a friend over..."
I stopped to think, if it scratched me when I had a guest, would it happen again if Egon is here? I got scared and ran up to Egon.
"Egon, can I ask you for a huge favor?"
He looks down at me, worried. And nods his head.
"Of course, Charlie, anything..."
I take a deep breath and ask slowly.
"Can you please spend the night? I'm scared that I might get hurt and I don't want to be alone. Please don't leave me alone."
Egon looked down at me and pulled me in for a hug.
"I will spend the night. Please don't be scared... You will be fine."
Egon takes me to the couch and pulls me in so I snuggle up next to him. His warmth dimmed my vision and I eventually closed my eyes. I felt a kiss on my head and a soft voice in my ear
"Goodnight, Charlotte... Sweet dreams."
I feel Egon's head lay on top of mine, he must be sleepy too. I finally feel safe... Maybe being alone is not as great as I thought it was. But for now, I just melted into his arms and fell into the deepest sleep I have ever experienced.
"Goodnight, Egon..."