Chapter 5

After January came and went, and the first kiss was shared, I decided to continue what Egon and I had together. A few small dinner dates here and there.. Nothing serious.
I wake up in my bed in my four-roomed apartment to the sound of the obnoxious ring of my phone. I pull the covers off and stomp into my living room.
"Who could be calling me at this hour?!"
I pick the phone up and my voice cracked as I answered.
"Hello?"
"Charlie? It's Ray... Sorry if I woke you, but we need you down at the station... Like now..."
"I'm showing up in my pj's and you cant stop me..."
"Thats fine Charlie... You have the right. Just get down here."
I hang up the phone and grab a coat. Exiting my warm apartment on a cold, February night? This should be interesting...
I catch a cab to the station and sit in the back seat rubbing my hands together to bring warmth back to my frozen fingers.

I open the front door of the station with my eyes half open. The familiar warm breeze makes me wake up and I step inside.
"Ray?... Ray?"
"Oh! Charlie's here! Happy Valentine's day, Charlie!!"
I stand there, half asleep, partially pissed off. I look over to the stairway to see Ray and Peter run down the stairs holding balloons in the shape of hearts. Ray has a big smile on his face and Peter... Well... Peter looks like he was woken from hibernation, just as pissed off too.
"You woke me up... At..."
(I check my watch)
"FOUR IN THE MORNING... For VALENTINES DAY."
Ray's smile faded slightly but held up his pointer finger,
"Just wait Charlie, Egon planned something special for you!"
"The maniac..." Peter said under his breath.
I trudged over to my desk and saw Egon sitting in my chair, smirking.
"Egon, what are you doing?"
I noticed him move his hand, something clicked, and big, red, heart-shaped balloons flew out from under my desk, and hit the ceiling. My eyes widened and my mouth hung open.
"Happy Valentine's day, Charlotte.."
I stood there, processing everything.. This cant be real... I thought to myself. I started to laugh... Really hard... Egon stood up, laughing with me. I run up and hug him while my stomach churns from laughing so hard.
"Lets go sit in the living room and play a game or something! Watching you guys hug is not doing much for me..." Peter said while exiting the lobby.
Egon lets go and looks down at me smiling. His smile faded and pulls away from the hug.
"You aren't smiling. Why?"
I step back and cross my arms.
"Egon... This is all so adorable.. And I truly appreciate it... But you called me down here at the wrong time..."
Egon looked puzzled, like he did something wrong.
"Whats wrong, Charlotte?"
Egon stepped closer, but I stepped back, tears welling up in my eyes.
"My father called me last night.. My Mom... She passed from the breast cancer. They need me to fly to lower PA in about..."
(I check my watch again)
"Three hours..."
Egon's face grew sad and he tried to hug me, but lowered his arms, and watched me cry.
"I- I'm sorry..."
Egon looks down at his watch and looks back up at me.
"Would you mind if I took you to the airport?"
I stepped closer and looked up at Egon.
"What I haven't told you is that during the call, my father asked me to stay in lower PA for about four months.. To help him with the grieving process."
Egon stepped closer,
"You're leaving? You cant! I still need to..."
His voice trailed off again, his usual, warm expression disappeared, and he left the room.