chapter 8

"You couldn't have dressed up at least a bit nicer?" I said to Harry as I waited for him at the bottom of the stairs.

He starred at me. "It's just Ron!" He said.

I rolled my eyes impatiently, "yes, and Luna! Plus, it's a dinner! You look like a slob!" I said.

"And you look beautiful," he replied. I pursed my lips and held my head high, reaching out for his arm. "Let's not be late, shall we?"

He smirked, grabbing my arm. I closed my eyes and when I opened them, I was starring at a nice little flat.

"Aw, they put in a flower pot out front!" I said, admiring the stand.

We walked up to the door and knocked.
Ron appeared moments later, dressed similarly to Harry. I sulked.

"Ron!" Harry said, embracing him in a hug as he entered the house. "Hey, Ron!" I said, hugging him as I followed behind Harry.

"You two look great, follow me!" He said, and we were lead into a small kitchen with a dining room table in the corner, food sitting on the table.

"Already done?" I said, delighted. We sat down. I looked around and realized the table was only set for three. "Ron? Where's Luna?" I asked.

He looked at me and all the blood drained from his face. "Er-well, you see, last week, we got in a pretty bad fight, yelling and all that rubbish, not like her at all. And then she told me she needed a break, packed up her things and off she went. And now yesterday, I get an owl saying she's living with Neville now. Neville! I don't know what I did wrong! I've still got here damned flower pot out front!" He exclaimed.

"Ah, mate, I'm sorry," Harry said. "That's awful!" I said. Ron nodded, starring down at his turkey.

An awkward silence fell over the table.

"Well, I saw the daily prophet today. You two, aye?" He said.

I felt my cheeks get a little pink. "Oh, er- it's not an official thing, it's more casual, that picture wasn't really meant to be taken."

"Yeah, it's been really lonely here without Luna," Ron said, munching on his dinner.

I picked up my drink when I felt my face turn white.

I knew exactly what he had invited us here to ask.

The words he said were muffled my ears ringing. I saw Harry turn to me with the same ghostly expression, and I knew he had asked. He had asked if he could move in with us.

I turned to Ron, who was looking frantically between the two of us.

"Ron," I started slowly, biting my lip. "I would say yes, but, you know... We don't have a third bedroom. It's too tiny," I lied.

I didn't know why I was lying, Ron was my best friend. Why wouldn't I want him to move in?

Harry looked at me, confused. "I could sleep on the couch!" Ron said hopefully.

My hands were beginning to shake. "I think we have to go," I said suddenly. "Hermione?" Said Ron.

I got up from the table and grabbed my bag, running to the door.

"I'm so sorry, I'll call you later," Harry said quietly behind me.

I exited and apparated, landing back in our apartment.

I heard a crack behind me. "Bloody hell, Hermione, what in the world is your problem?" Harry said.

I turned to face him and broke into tears. "I don't know!" I sobbed, heaving tears into my hands. "I just couldn't stand it, I don't understand, the second he asked to move in, I got a feeling, almost jealously but not quite!"

He walked up to me and pulled me into his shoulder. "You didn't want Ron to live here because you want to spend all your time with me, right? And then you felt awful because Ron is your best friend?"

I responded with a hysteric nod. "Okay, okay," he said, running his hands along my hair. "How about I go give Ron a call and try to explain?"

"Mhmm," I mumbled, and Harry let me go, giving me a few pats. "It's okay, Mione."

I stood there alone and crossed my arms. I could hear Harry dialing the phone and speaking in an apologetic voice. This relationship was not going as planned.

Harry returned a few moments later.
"Hey, I'm gonna head back over and hang out, if that's alright."

I looked at him for a second and then nodded. He smiled, and apparated away, leaving me alone with regret.

~
AN!!!

Hey guys!! Just thought I'd check in-
How are you liking the story so far? I'm going to try to extend it as far as possible, I'm hoping for at least 50 chapters ?? We'll see. I read everyone's comments, btw! It makes me happy to see your reactions. See you next time!! Xoxo