chapter 12

The kids just loved Harry.

Everyday Harry would come home and tell Hermione all of the great things that had happened in his day at Hogwarts.

She missed him terribly while he was gone. She spent a lot of time reading, knitting, learning how to cook some new things.

The truth is, Hermione couldn't wait until Christmas when he got to come home.

Frankly, she was a bit irritated. She hung up all the decorations by herself, had to manage the tree in here, and made dinner every night so it was ready for Harry.

As she sat at the kitchen table, waiting for Harry to come home, she sighed. Obviously, she brought this upon herself. Why didn't she take the job?

Before she had time to reason with herself, she heard the front door open. She mustered a smile as Harry walked in the door.

"Hey Mione!" Harry said, giving her a kiss. He looked around, smiling.

"The decorations look amazing!" He said excitedly.

Hermione tried to keep the ice out of her tone. "I know! All by myself!"

He was oblivious to what she was trying to say. "I'm going to go and get ready for dinner."

Hermione nodded briskly. "Alright."

She watched him trudge up the stairs. What exactly was she trying to say? Quit your job?

No, of course. I mean, not now. But next year? She was growing lonely here. She hardly had any friends- she had been avoiding Ron since the incident at his house and had never really made a point to contact Ginny.

Suddenly, she sat up straighter. "I got it!" She exclaimed.

She jumped off of the stool and hurried to the front door. Harry came back down the stairs. "Where are you going?" He called.

But Hermione didn't answer, she shut the door behind her and thought of the same thing over and over again: Diagon Alley. Diagon Alley. Diagon Alley.

When she opened her eyes, after the familiar twisting sensation, she saw that she was there.

It was pretty deserted at this hour, most stores were starting to close up.

She walked down the row of stores until she came upon Magical Menagerie, which was thankfully still open.

She went inside, and the store keeper, Mrs. West, lit up.

"Why, Miss Granger! You are so much older! How lovely to see you again!"

Hermione smiled at her, looking around. "I'm afraid I'm here for the same thing I was many years ago- a cat."

"What about Crookshanks?" Mrs. West exclaimed.

"I gave him to my parents. It's a... long story," she sighed, not wanting to go into detail. She hadn't even thought about reversing her parents memory yet.

"Why, I believe you're in luck! We have a kitten of the same breed, a girl! Her name is Quinn."

Hermione gazed at the tiny kitten in Mrs. West's hands. It was absolutely perfect.

"Alright!" Hermione said.

Mrs. West looked stunned. "Wait, that's it? You'll just take it?" 

Hermione fidgeted. "It's kind of necessary."

--

Hermione carried her new kitten outside with her.

"Alright, time to go home. Can I even do this with you? Oh dear, don't get sick on me!"

Hermione closed her eyes and landed back on her door step. Quinn was meowing obsessively.

She walked in the front door and saw Harry sitting in the living room.

"Oh- Hermione! Where did you go? I was worr- is that a cat!"

Hermione grinned.