chapter 11

"How do I look?" Harry asked.

"Dashing," Hermione replied. She smiled at Harry, who was dressed up nicely for his first day of work.

He took Hermione's hand and in a flash they were gone.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked around, they were standing directly at the entrance to Hogwarts.

She smiled; the familiar smell of autumn filled her nose.

As they walked, she noticed 5th years she remembered as 2nd years and new additions she had never seen before.

"Wow," Harry said. She nodded, making their way inside.

A few moments later they were greated by none other than McGonagall herself.

"Harry! Oh, it is so lovely to see you!" She cried, beaming at him.

"It's lovely to see you too, Professor," he replied.

"Oh, do call me Minerva. And Miss Granger, oh the memories I have of you two!"

Hermione blushed. "We're so happy to be here."

"Right now, Harry I assume you know where your heading? And Hermione as well. The feast will begin around 8, so be back at the great hall by then."

They nodded, squeezing each other's hands. "Bye," Hermione said, heading off in the direction of the library.

The second she stepped in, it was exactly as she had remembered. It was empty, for classes hadn't started yet.

Looking down the aisles, she could just picture she and Harry working on cracking the first task together.

She smiled, heading over to the desk. But when she got there, she frowned.

She didn't feel as happy as she thought she would be. She couldn't see herself here.

Hermione didn't want this.

As she stood there, hands on the desk, tears began to brim in her eyes.

All she wanted to do was go back to her apartment, cozy up with a good book and turn on some trashy show on their TV.

She ran out of the library, spilling out into the hallway.

No one was around. She shut her eyes and suddenly, she was standing in her living room.

What would she say to Harry? She was the one who go these jobs for them. He would be heartbroken she didn't want to stay there with him.

She sighed, heading over to her couch to do exactly what she had planned on.

About an hour later, a sharp crack echoed through the apartment.

Hermione jumped, spinning back to see a panicked Harry in the doorframe.

"Hermione, oh merlin, I was so worried!" He said, walking up and hugging her.

"What happened?" He said, holding her head in his hands.

Hermione avoided his eyes. "I left."

Harry's face fell. "You.. you left?"

Hermione nodded. "Why would you leave?" He asked, quietly.

"Because I don't want that job," she said softly, bringing herself to look at him. "That's your dream, not mine. I want to write a book and stay at home. Maybe with our children one day."

Harry let go of her. "But why did you get those jobs, then? Why did you lead me on like that?"

Hermione felt her eyes watering. "I... I didn't know... until I got there.... I'm so sorry- I can't-"

"I'm going to have to leave you, everyday?" He said, his voice hurt.

"Harry...."

"Just- I need a minute alone," Harry said, a sad look gazing at Hermione.

Harry turned around and walked out the front door.

Hermione rushed behind him. "Harry- Harry I'm sorry!"

The door shut on Hermione and she stood there, alone.