chapter 10

I placed the last streamer over the top of the door frame, setting down my wand and waiting anxiously at the kitchen table.

I could hear foot steps heading down the stairs.

The second Harry placed his foot inside the kitchen I yelled, "Happy Birthday!", making him jump a mile.

"MERLIN!" He yelled, clutching his chest.

I giggled, running over to him and giving him a big kiss. "Happy birthday, Harry!"

He looked around our fully decorated kitchen, grinning at me. "Hermione, thank you so much!"

I grabbed his hand and led him over to the table. "I made all your favorite foods for breakfast and set out all of your presents. I want it to be perfect!" I exclaimed.

He laughed, loading his plate with bacon and pancakes as he joined me at the table.

I looked at him, munching on his food with his lopsided glasses and messy hair and thought I could almost explode with the love I felt for him.

"Presents! Please, please, open them now!" I squealed.

"Alright," he replied.

He opened a quidditch picture from me to hang in our living room, a bag of candies and pictures from Ron, sweets from Mrs Weasley, and a Gryffindor shirt from Ginny.

There was one final package laying on the table when he was done. "Who's this from?" He asked.

I smiled widely at him, motioning for him to open it.

He ripped off the top and took out the single piece of paper.

As he read it, his face lit up with joy. "Oh, Hermione! Did you really?!" He asked me.

I nodded enthusiastically.

"I can't believe it! Oh Merlin, we got the job! We're working at Hogwarts!"

He ran over and picked me up, pulling me into a crushing hug.

One day I had gone to Hogwarts and had a chat with McGonagall over tea, and she was more than happy to give Harry and I the open positions at Hogwarts, letting us live at home and apparate to work.

"This is so incredible, Mr. Potter and Ms. Granger!" He yelled, setting me down.

For a moment I almost could imagine him saying Mrs. Potter, and the thought of that made me grin even wider.