chapter 9

I ran into the living room when I heard a sharp crack.

A man dressed in all black stood in my living room.

Harry stood up off the couch.

We looked at each other for a spilt second, his eyes as wide as the moon.

"AVADA KEDEVRA!" A voice yelled, and Harry fell like a puppet with his strings cut.

I opened my mouth, but no scream came out. The man in black had vanished. And Harry was dead.

I ran over to him, falling on to the floor. "Harry, Harry please, Harry PLEASE!" I sobbed, and this time when I opened my mouth I screamed so loud it echoed to every edge of the earth.

I collapsed over him sobbing, screaming and screaming.

"Hermione...." A voice said. I looked at Harry, who was unmoving. "Harry?"

"Hermione!"

I snapped up, my head spinning.

Harry kneeled beside my bed, looking at me frantically. "Hermione, what happened? What's wrong?"

I grabbed his hand and warmth flooded my body. He was here, looking at me, and alive.

I sighed, lying my head back on my pillow. "Just a nightmare. An awful, awful nightmare," I whispered.

He took his hand and brushed it against my hair. "Mione, it's okay, I'm here now."

He leaned down and kissed my forehead.

I looked to my clock to see it was 3:23 am.

Harry smiled in the light of the screen, standing back up.

"Goodnight," he said.

"Harry!" I exclaimed.

He looked at me, alarmed.

"Stay with me?" I asked. "I'm a bit on edge."

Harry relaxed, nodding. "Yes, of course."

He went around my bed, lying down next to me and going under the covers.

A sense of calmness washed over me as I curled up in his chest.

"I...."

The words were on the tip of my tongue.

Love you?

Of course I loved him.

We had been best friends for so long, we lived together, bloody hell, we were sleeping in the same bed.

But I was confused.

"What?" He mumbled, obviously tired.

"Nothing," I replied quietly.

I fell into a dreamless sleep in his arms.