14. The wrong hands

Chapter Fourteen

Alex's POV

"What took you so bloody long?" Sebastien asked us as we reached the safe house three hours later. Jack, Sebastien, my mum and dad and two other girls all looked at me with annoyance. I then realised that they must have thought I was being stupid and reckless once again.

"It took longer than expected to get out of there." I admitted as I sat down on the couch

"In other words you were being stupid and got caught." Sebastien replied to me. I looked at him annoyed.

"Why does everyone just assume that?" I asked as Demi sat down beside me a minute later.

"You don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to being sensible Alex." Jack reminded me.

"Neither do you." I snapped at him a second later.

My mum cleared her throat. "Okay, enough of this! We have more important things to worry about."

"And Alex didn't nearly get killed this time." I heard Sebastien mutter under his breath moments later.

"I wasn't being reckless!" I screamed at him a second later.

"Then what happened?" He asked me as he raised his eyebrows at him.

"Eddie and Diana caught us on the way out."

Sebastien rolled his eyes at me. "Because you were..." I cut him off.

"I wasn't being reckless." My mum slammed her hand down on the coffee table making everyone jump.

"This isn't the most important thing right now! Now get it together and stop arguing before I bang your heads together!" My mum threatened.

Everyone stayed silent. "Thank you!" My mum sighed in relief.

"Did you find out anything?" My mum asked me

"Apart from the fact that he wants the necklaces not really." My mum and dad looked at each other again.

"I think I know why." One of the girls spoke up

"Before mum and dad died and Lilian and Harold went into hiding mum said something about a group of weapons." She said to all of us.

She turned towards my mum. "Do you know anything about this?" She asked. Mum nodded

"Yes. We were actually on a mission when your mum and dad died. We were trying to destroy some weapons before they got into the wrong hands." My mum explained to us all

"Is there any chance that Dexter might want those weapons?" I asked my mum.

"I think that's exactly what he wants." She replied.

"But why would they want the necklaces?" The other girl who hadn't spoken until then asked.

"Because your mother and father secured the information they had on these weapons on a computer that you can only access if you have the necklaces." 

"But surely he would only need one?" Demi asked.

"The information isn't stored just stored in one place. Each necklace unlocks a different amount of information. You need all three necklaces to get all the information you need to track down the weapons." My mom replied

"And what happens if they get in the wrong hands?" Sebastien asked.

"They could start world war three." My mum responded.

"But if the information about these weapons is tightly security protected then how come Dexter knows about them?"

"Because Amber, someone who we thought was on our side betrayed us and sold the information to him." My mum explained to her.

Amber looked at her confused. "Who?" She asked.

"The same two people who killed your mum and dad." My mum replied.

"The same two people who looked after me after mum and dad died." Demi whispered but we could all hear her.

"That's why they drugged you. They wanted you to make sure you never knew what the necklace was really for and that you never remembered anything about your real family or who you are." I said to her.

"The truth is the necklaces are extremely powerful and can do all sorts of different things." My mum said.

"And we need to make sure those weapons are destroyed before they get into the wrong hands." My mum continued.

"And before Dexter starts world war three."