Chapter 13: Schooltrip [part 4]

Brody's POV

I couldn't believe what my father was telling me.

"Dad, no... How?" I wiped my tears away as I didn't want anyone to see me cry.

"That's life son" he answered.

"But cancer? How?" I didn't want to believe it. He has cancer, after me battling cancer, he was now the one to have it.

"That's why I was at your house the other day. I've told your mother everything that day, only you and Britt didn't know yet."

"Anyway, I'll help you get through the chemotherapy" I said determined.

"There's something else son" he said and I heard him taking a break before telling me.

"Just tell me dad, what is it?" I was getting impatient, what could he have more besides cancer?

"They discovered my cancer too late, the day I left you, Britt and your mother was the day the first cancer cell appeared. I'm 3 years too late Brody, they discovered the cancer 2 weeks ago at an annual check-up. The whole year I felt sick and had to take alot of breaks from work, so I asked the doctor to check me on everything."

My tears kept rolling over my cheeks but I didn't say a word because I didn't want my father to know that I was crying this whole time.

"Brody, I didn't want to do this over the phone.. But euhm I- I only have 3 months to live" he stopped talking and I heard him sob.

Hearing that sentence and him crying broke my heart. It was quiet for a few minutes, I think my father also just realized what was going to happen.

"I wanne see you dad" I said breaking the silence.

"I'll pick you up from your schooltrip tomorrow, are you okay with that?" he asked.

"Yeah, that's fine" I responded.

We said our goodbye's and at that moment I saw Safia walking towards me. It was because of her I talked to my father, if it wasn't for her I would've blamed myself my whole life for not listening to him.

Safia's POV
Natalie and Malik were walking in front of us, and Brody behind u-.. were is Brody? I looked behind me but he wasn't there. I looked around and saw that he was sitting on a tree.

"Hey, I'm going to ask if everything is alright. We'll catch up later." I said to Amina.

She nodded and kept walking.

I turned around again and made my way to Brody. It looked like he had been crying.

"Hey are you okay?" I asked.

I saw him looking at his phone,
"Did you talk to someone or?"

He looked at me and started talking.

"Yes, my euhm my father just called me" he hesitated.

"And? What did he say?"

He broke eyecontact and was looking at his hands again, I was really worried now.

"He has cancer Safia, he has cancer."

"What? I'm so sorry Brody", I didn't know what to say. What I did next even surprised me.