Chapter 37: The old jerk

Brody's POV

Dear diary/dad,

It's my time now..

I've just lost you to a disease which is killing people all over the world, never thought that I, myself, would battle with the same disease and I never thought I would lose someone so close to me due to cancer.

I've been acting like the old jerk again dad. Hung out with my old friends, picked up girls whenever I could and dumped all of my good friends. I wasn't able to push Safia away, so I made sure she hated me and would drop me without hesitation.

And that's what she did...

I mean, why wouldn't she? I kissed her, ignored her for weeks and moved on with someone else.

This was the only way to forget about the cancer and about Safia. This was the only way I could live for maybe a few months without people treating me like a walking human that was about to die at any moment.

Sometimes I wish I could just go up to her and tell her everything. But I'm not ruining her life because I have these feelings.

These feelings are just a phase which I'm sure I'll get past.

Even though my grades are a nightmare and nobody could understand what happened to me, I was still holding on to Islam.. I was reading the Quran as much as possible, which, I felt, was the only thing that was keeping me above water.

Life is throwing surprises at us everyday, and sometimes we do stuff we, ourselves, don't understand.

Sometimes it's better not to think about some things otherwise those thoughts would kill the only thing that was keeping us alive.

Anyway, maybe we'll meet soon dad..

Love Brody.

I promised myself to keep a diary until the day I wouldn't be able to write anymore, not as a memory which I could look back at later, but as a method to write everything out before it drives me crazy. I don't have really anyone to talk to as I pushed everyone away. And it's not like I could look back at a memory if I'm not alive anymore..

Okay no! I'm not thinking about this stuff anymore.

I threw my diary under my bed so nobody could find it and picked up my jacket and my wallet. Before I left my room I took a quick look around and saw the Quran laying on my desk, I shook my head, went downstairs and closed the front door behind me.

"And where are we going mister? It's almost 7pm." My mom asked when she just pulled on the drive-way.

"Out with some friends. And mom," I said turning back to face her, "don't wait up." I finished and drove off like a maniac.

Let's erase these thoughts for a few hours shall we.

Some friends invited me to a party a few blocks from where I lived. Of course I accepted the invitation, how couldn't I.

I arrived at the party and I immediately saw my friends standing in the middle of the room doing beerpong, of course..
I didn't drink any alcohol anymore, the one thing I promised myself not to do.