Chapter Ten

Jasper's POV

Carlslie was surprised to hear from me. I can remember hearing Esme sigh with contentment. I just realized how much I missed them both. A feminine laugh that rang like chimes let me know how big Renesme had grown. I wonder what she looks like now. I recall the ordeal we encountered 8 months before I left. All to protect that little bundle that my niece was at the time. There I thought the biggest deal we were going to face was when Bella loses her family to time. The decade of depression she would have fell into. How wrong I was when Carlslie brought that straggler in. Alice wouldn't even look at me. Her feelings of love and comfort were stripped from me. I felt indifference and forced neutrality. I didn't understand. I tried to get Edward to read her but he was sworn into secrecy. I thought it was a joke meant to keep me in the dark about some surprise. When I felt her open up and feelings of love and compassion flooded my senses. When I found her she was in the arms of that stranger. I lost it. He was touching my wife. My territory. She was mine! I snarled and found his throat in my hands. I felt a pulse. Taken aback I stumble backward and find Bella and Rosalie holding my arms. I felt numb for the first time in a long time. The foreign stench of mutt slapped me in the face. Another dog???! Why is she hugging him?! His stench is much older. Nothing like Jacob's watered down musk. According to smell wolves are able to know just how old and powerful their bloodline is. This stranger was very old and very powerful. Almost like royalty. I don't want to go into wolf land right now. Things are too confusing. After the kisses Macy and I shared the pain I felt is numb now, almost a lifetime ago. I still feel that warm lithe body under my fingertips. I have to feed before we get on the road to the airport in Dallas. I feel warm all over. Is this what Edward felt? We have to talk when I return home. My new mate will be timid around everyone. I just hope she can give Rose a run for her money. I smile at the thought of Rose thinking she can walk over Macy like she did Bella before she changed. So not happening.