Chapter 16 - Muddy Feet

Time doesn't really heal a heart. It just makes the heart forget.
---------------------------------------------

Kayleigh's POV

   I walked into the house, my shoes now back on and hiding my very muddy feet.

   "In my dream house, I'd be able to have messy feet as much as I want." I whispered. "But that's what that house is. A dream."

   I sighed and walked upstairs, ignoring the sounds coming from the bedroom. "Someday, we will live there. Even if it takes all my life to get us there." I said.

   "Get who where?"

   I spun around, startled that someone was in the house.

   "Sorry bout that. My mum says I'm quiet, and can sneak up on people way too easily." Gabe said.

   "It's fine. I'm just not used to..." I trailed off. "Why are you here exactly?" I asked.

    "I work here. And if my boss wasn't 'slacking off', I'd be busy." Gabe said.

   "I see." I said, making sure I didn't look down at my belly.

   "And why are you here? Are you the maid? Or the cook?" Gabe asked.

   "Something like that." I replied. "Um, I'm sorry, but I need to get to work. I'll see you around." I said, then turned back towards the sewing room.

   "See you around." Gabe said.

   I smiled as I walked into the sewing room, then locked the door behind me. "What am I doing?" I asked aloud.

   "Talking to a room again, that's what I'm doing." I mumbled as I lay down on the couch.