Chapter 30 - Rumors

You can't see that I'm hurting. You don't notice the pain. It feels like everyone else is sitting in the sunshine, while I drown in the rain.
---------------------------------------------

Kayleigh's POV

   I stepped into the school building, then groaned inwardly as I spotted someone I didn't want to see.

   "Kayleigh." Gabe said.

   "What do you want?" I asked, trying not to look at my watch.

   "Your belly is quite large." He said.

   I raised my eyebrows. "I'm pregnant. That happens." I said.

   "Kids are talking you know." Gabe said, leaning up against his locker.

   "Kids always talk Gabe." I said, trying to keep my composure.

   Gabe smirked. "They say you hooked up with a teacher." He said.

   My eyes widened, then I glared at Gabe. "You know what, keep the rumors to yourself." I said, then walked away from him.

   After checking the make sure he wasn't following me, I slipped into the kitchen.

   "Kayleigh! You ready for cooking? You do potatoes. Smash cooked ones." Edna said.

   I smiled and set down my bag, then grabbed an apron. "You mean mash?" I asked.

   "Mash, smash, pish posh." Edna said, waving her hand.

   I giggled and walked over to the potatoes.

   "You serve today." Edna said.

   My eyes widened. "But-" I tried to think of a way to get out of it.

   "You serve. You good serve person." Edna insisted.

   I smiled, trying not to cry. "Alright." I agreed, trying not to let my reluctance show.

   The time for serving came all too soon, and I had to just do my best.

   "Hey. Kayleigh is it?" A boy asked.

   I looked at him. "What's it to you?" I asked.

   "You must think you're so important, having a teachers baby." He said.

   I smiled. "Please move along, you're holding up the line." I said.

   The boy glared at me before moving along.

   "You know I bet you're just helping in the kitchen so you can eat a lot." The next girl said.

   "I get plenty to eat." I said, putting mashed potatoes onto her plate.

   "I bet the teacher you slept with got you this job." The boy behind her said.

   I smiled again. "Please move along, you're holding up the line." I said.

That's pretty much how the whole rest of the day went. Kids were questioning of the rumors were true.

I couldn't say much, honestly it kinda was true. Jack was a teacher. We were married, but there was no way on earth I was telling anyone that.

So, I just had to ignore people, and try to put the rumors off as much as possible.

And, on top of that, Jack was around and I could literally bump into him at any given moment.

   Not to mention Jack already had a reputation for sleeping with people. Teachers and students, and I wanted nothing to do with that.

   So yea, my job is going great.