Chapter 27 - Copies

She hurts and
   She cries.
But you can't see
   The depression
In her eyes,
   Because she just
smiles...

---------------------------------------------

Kayleigh's POV

I sighed as I pushed open the door to Timothy's office.

He looked up from his paperwork and smiled at me. "How is it going?" He asked.

I took a deep breath and pulled a certificate out of my backpack. "I got this today." I said, sliding it in front of him.

Timothy's eyes widened as he looked at the paper. "You graduated early?" He asked, looking at me in amazement.

"Principle Murry had me take the test, just to see if I could do it. And... I could." I said, beaming.

"Kayleigh, that's amazing! I'm assuming this is a copy and not the actual thing?" He asked, holding the paper.

I nodded. "Keep it for my file." I said.

"So, what are you going to do instead of school? Fire the maid and do all the cleaning yourself?" Timothy asked.

"I got a job." I said, handing him another paper.

Timothy read over the paper, then smiled again. "You're doing great. I'll set up a private bank account for your pay to be transferred into." He said.

"Thanks. That's also a copy." I said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get home."

"I'll get that account set up." Timothy said.

I smiled again and left the office.

~a half hour later~

I stepped into my house, then ran upstairs.

"I graduated." I said when I got into the sewing room. "But, that's not going to get me out of school."

I sighed and looked around the room. "Oh baby, I still have to face all those people everyday. And I'm still eighteen, and still pregnant." I said to my belly.

   After a minute, I walked downstairs and went into the kitchen to begin dinner.

   "Kayleigh." A voice startled me.

    I turned around and looked at Gabe. "Why won't you stay out of my kitchen?" I asked, sighing.

   "I will now." He said, sitting down in a chair.

   "And that is because?" I asked carefully. I could tell he was upset about something.

   "I was just fired." Gabe said, his head in his hands.

   "You lasted pretty long." I said, draining the cooked pasta.

   "My first job, and I got fired. And there wasn't even a good reason for it." Gabe said.

   I set the pan on the counter top. "What was the reason?" I asked.

   "Apparently his girlfriend doesn't like me. Although I can't imagine why." He said.

   I snorted. "I could give you some reasons." I said.

   Gabe looked at me. "Thanks." He said dryly, then stood up. "I'll see you around school." He said, then left the kitchen.