Chapter 18 - Debate

Sick of crying.
Tired of trying.
Yes, I'm smiling,
But inside I'm dying.
---------------------------------------------

~ An hour later~

Kayleigh's POV

I smiled as I walked into debate class and sat down at my desk. Today, I was debating, and I was excited for it.

   I looked around the room. Practically the whole class was here. Not very many students were sitting down though, and there were paper airplanes flying around the room.

   Our teacher, Mrs Callen, was pretty nice, and she let us do whatever we wanted, except fighting, until class started.

As the bell rang, Mrs Callen walked to the front of the room. "Class, settle down. Now, today's debate will be on if love is a feeling, or just a word."

    Mrs Callen paused and looked around the room. "Arguing on the side that love is just a word, Kayleigh."

I smiled and walked up to one of the podiums.

"And arguing on the side that love is a feeling, Gabe." Mrs. Callen said.

Gabe smiled and walked up to the front of the room, then stood in front of the other protium.

"Alright, Gabe, you can start us off." Mrs. Callen said.

Gabe grinned. "I'd he happy to." He said. "Love does exist. We see it all around us. Our parents love us, they created us. Love does exist, and it's an amazing thing." He said.

I smiled and turned to the class. "Love is a word. That's all it is. Your parents love you because they are suppose to. There isn't any meaning behind the word, but people think there is." I said.

Gabe raised his eyebrows. "Love is a feeling. It's the feeling we get when we are with our friends and family, the warm feeling inside us."

I grinned. "The warm feeling is imagined. Love isn't a feeling, it's a word. It's a word people use to get what they want. Someone tells someone else they love them, and the person will do anything for them."

Gabe wasn't done. "People do things for other people because they care about them. That's love." He said.

"Love is a word. People use it to get what they want. People use it to get who they want." I said, then stepped away from the podium.

The class clapped, and Gabe and I went back to our seats. "Alright. The winner of the debate is," Mrs Callen looked at the paper in her hand, "Kayleigh."

I smiled as the class clapped.

"Good job, both of you." Mrs Callen said just as the bell rang. "And I'll see you all tomorrow."