Chapter 41 - Maria

I hate when I see something that absolutely kills me inside, and I have to act like I'm fine.
--------------------------------------------

~Later~

Kayleigh's POV

   "Kayleigh."

   I woke up to someone shaking me. "What?" I groaned.

"Kayleigh, it's Hettie. Are you ok?" She asked.

I opened my eyes and sat up. "What did I do?" I asked.

"You were crying and screaming for Maria." Hettie said gently.

I sighed. "I'm fine." I said.

Hettie studied me. "Kay, you aren't fine. You were screaming her name." She said.

I felt more tears run down my cheeks. "I lost her Hettie." I said.

"Kay, that wasn't and isn't your fault." She said.

"I should have never taken the medicine. I should have demanded to know what it was." I said.

Hettie hugged me. "Did you physically harm her?" She asked.

"Of course not! I would never hurt her." I said.

"Did you tell the doctors to kill her?" Hettie asked.

I looked at her. "Why would I do that?" I asked.

"Sweetie, none of it was your fault." Hettie said.

The tears were still steaming down my cheeks. "I was planning to come that night. I was going to get away." I said.

"Kayleigh." Hettie whispered.

"I didn't think he knew. I tried to hide it from him. I never should have let that test leave my side." I said.

"Kayleigh." Hettie said again.

"It was my fault. If I had the test, he wouldn't have known. He wouldn't have been able to take my daughter away from me." I said.

"Kay, how were you suppose to know he would order an abortion?" Hettie asked.

"Even if he wouldn't have, she would have been shipped off to live with my parents." I whispered.

Hettie picked up my test from where it was laying on the bedside table and handed it to me. "This time is going to be different." She said.

I nodded. "And this time, he isn't going to know." I said.

Hettie hugged me again before standing up. "Get some sleep. I promise we will be able to win. Timothy is a good lawyer." She said.

I nodded.

Hettie smiled and left the room.

I fell back onto the bed, sobbing silently. "I can't just magically feel better." I whispered.

I lay down, hugging my test close to me. "This time, I'm going to tell no one." I whispered.

"I don't care if I have to live in a swamp, and hide from everyone. I'm going to keep you safe." I whispered.

   I looked at the test again, then I flipped my pillow over so I could sleep on the dry side. Not that it would stay dry for long.