Chapter 20. The Good Grounder

I wake up and I feel myself hit the ground, "Ow! Son of a bitch!", I groan and I grab my shoulder.

I stand up and try to run off so maybe he can't kill me, but he's too fast and he grabs my arm and I wince in pain and fall back onto the ground. I then look at the arrow in my shoulder and I see that a cloth or something is wrapped around the base.

Did the grounder do this? Did he help me?

He pulls me back up onto my feet and he pulls out a knife. That's it, I'm dead.

He approaches closer and closer and I just close my eyes, better to not see. I then hear him cut something, but it wasn't me. I open one eye and see that he cut the rope that was binding my hands.

I look up at him, confused to why he did that. Trust me, I'm happy I'm alive but I don't understand. "Payton?", I hear and I turn around and see Finn!

"Oh my god!", I say and run over to him, "are you okay? Did they hurt you?", I ask and he shakes his head.

"I never thought I'd say this but; I'm so happy you're here", I say and he laughs, "thanks? You too Quinn."

The grounder then walks towards us and I back away slightly, "it's okay", Finn says and I raise an eyebrow.

The grounder takes off the mask and it's Lincoln! That's when things all fall into place. I let out a sigh of relief that we probably won't die, or at least not this second. "Thank you", I say and he nods.

"You know you could have helped me off the horse not throw me, given I was out cold", I say and a small smiles appears on his face.

"Well you hit me in the head with a metal pipe so we're even", he says and I let out a small laugh and so does Finn.

"Where's Clarke?", I ask, realizing she's not here.

"I'm going to get her now", Lincoln says and he sets a fire in what seems to be some sort of fire stack.

"What's that for?", Finn asks, and I too am curious to what this is, and what it's for.

"It's a signal fire for Reapers", he says and I don't even want to know what those are, they definitely sound scarier than grounders. But they must be given grounders are afraid of them.

"I don't see anyone around", I point out.

"It's so Anya and Tristan see it and they round up their troupes, that's when I'll get Clarke and bring her back here", he says further explaining his plan.

"Okay, what do we do?", Finn asks.

"Stay here and make sure no one sees you", Lincoln says putting the mask back on and getting on the horse and riding off.

"Lincoln's nice", I say and Finn nods, "yeah unlike 95% of the grounders."

"How'd you get here?", I ask.

"He killed one of his people, the grounder guarding me and he brought me back here", he says, "what about you?"

"I- I don't know because I was sort of knocked out for the time", I say, "I woke up when he threw me on the ground here."