Chapter 23. Between Enemy Lines

"Hey Raven, tell us again how this is going to work", Clarke says for the thousandth time.

Jasper's here splicing the wire, took a little convincing but he's here. Clarke and I are taking turns asking Raven questions so she doesn't fall asleep. Clarke says it's bad if she does. "I told you five times", Raven says, clearly annoyed that Clarke is asking the same question. At least I'm switch up the questions.

"Current flows to the electromagnet. That opens the poppet valve. Rockets fire." Raven explains, and I can hear the annoyance in her voice.

"Ok. Got the good wire ready to graft on. What's next?", Jasper asks Raven.

Nothing. No response from Raven.

"Raven?", I shout, hoping to get a response. But still, nothing.

"Raven?", Jasper shouts and we all exchange he same worried look.

We climb up and I see Raven lying on the ground. "Is she...", Jasper trails off, and I'm wondering the same thing. I don't see her moving or anything. If she's breathing, it's slow, very slow.

"Not yet", Clarke says, "but soon."

They've broken through! There's hundreds of them! They're heading for the gate! Game over, man!

My heart beat increases considerably knowing that we're losing out there, and Raven is dying. "Finish it", Clarke says and Jasper goes back down to the wires.

"Payton go see what's happening out there", Clarke says and I run outside.

As I get closer to the door the sounds of gunshots and shouting gets louder. "There are too many! Everybody to dropship now!", Millar shouts.

"No! We need more time", I shout over them, "gunners, stay at your posts. The rest of you, inside."

People start tuning towards the door of the drop ship, until a loud explosion fills the air. But not a bomb or mine explosion. But an explosion in the air. Everyone becomes silent, gunshots have stopped, the shouting has stopped, it becomes dead silent. I look up along with everyone else and I see a big glowing light falling to the ground with a smoke trail lingering behind it. "Is that from the Ark?", a girl asks standing beside me.

"That is the Ark", I say, not believing what I'm seeing.

The one big light explodes into many smaller lights as they continue to hurdle towards Earth.

Attack!

Attack!

"Gunner be ready!", Millar shouts and I motion people into the drop ship.

Then a sound I dread, a sound that brings back ugly... extremely ugly and too up close and personal memories. The sound of the reapers call fills the air with their weird animal hoot and hollers.

"What the hell is that?", Millar asks as he, along with the other gunners turn around from their post positions.

"REAPERS!", I hear a grounder shout and I guess Millar got his answer.

I see the grounders run away from the gate and I hear shouting and swords clanking amongst the grounds and the reapers.

This is great. But how?

I see a light in the tunnel and Finn appears and I walk over to him, "I knew it", I say, "you're too stubborn to die." And it hit his shoulder.

"I kicked a hornets nest", he says and I raise an eyebrow.

"That was you?", I ask, pointing out to where the grounders and reapers are fighting and he nods.