Chapter 1: A Loud Awakening

Screaming. That's all Emily could ever hear these days. Her Dad and brother slowly ripping each other apart, like a pack of savage wolves; each insult like another pounce at their neck. All she could do was wait it out, wait until they calm down. Lying inbetween her bedsheets, Emily tried to tune it out.

Day after day, just tuning everthing out, pretending like it's not there. That the family she lives in is functional.... like it used to be. Em sits up, unable to get anymore peaceful sleep because of the world war three going on a couple of rooms away. Sucking in a deep breathe she steps out of bed, groggy from her sleep, she automatically headed straight for the mirror to have a look at the disaster she saw her face as. Adjusting her hair, trying to fix the light brown fuz that was her hair; embedded in tangles and knots. Staring up at the mirror, concentrating on her hair her mind couldn't help but wonder. 'Brown.... the same colour as mums' she thought. Emily continued her battle to tame the beast that is her hair, finally fixing it as much as she can. She smiled. Something she hadn't done or seen herself do, unforced, for a very long time. Almost 11 years. Looking closer into her reflection the only thing her smiling face reminded her of was her mother's. Seeing her mum stare back at her through the mirror made Emily clench her eyes shut before looking down, dimly and heading back to sit on her uncomforatble bed. Her mind filling with painful images that she though she could let go, yet she still hadn't come to terms with; and never will. Even the clothes she was wearing reminded her of the times she had spent with her mum. Suddenly something else came to her attention, the door had opened and someone walked in.

"Emily..."