Chapter 7: Dehydration

Emily knew that she had to tell her dad about what mum wanted for her funeral. She remembered. Her dad agreed and they were able to do what Em's mum had wanted. Yet now that she was gone it was so silent around the house. Emily's dad was always working, Cal became more bitter towards her and it felt like they had lost everything.

Years went by. Emily had to learn how to take care of herself. She would  cook and clean as her dad would get home late. Though she didn't get much homework as she was still only 11 but there wouldn't be a day that went by that she wouldn't miss her mum. It was during this time when Cal became even more angry and bitter, he picked fights with their dad. The arguing would go on for ages and Emily decided that it would be best for her not to get involved. She and Cal didn't talk much, they spoke at dinner of course but apart from that their "family" had fallen apart. Barely speaking, none of them wanted to. They all felt miserable and it went on like this for years, small talk gettting them through.

It felt as if all the water had been drained from them and that the dehydration was getting at them and so... they wouldn't bother speaking to one another. The only time Emily really had proper conversations was at school with her friends. Trying to forget that she pretty much lives in a waste land: population 3. Her dad was going to be in shock for a long time and since he was the only one with a job he had to work even harder. Em still tried to talk to him but she was usually asleep by the time he came home.

Their family had become completely dysfunctional. Like they were a body that had lost it's heart, the centre that kept everything going.