Chapter 3: The beauty of nothingness

Some days were better than others. Emily and her mum would always like to get away from the muted hospital building. They would always go to a beatiful lake surrounded by nature. A place away from the touch of the industrial revolution. They would sit and talk for a while, breathing in the unpolluted air, skipping stones across the lake. Emily never fully grasped it, always ending up hurling the stone before it make a big splash in the lake, her mother would giggle at her attempt and try to show her how to do it. She still remembered some of those days.

"Em you need to be more gentle, otherwise you'll scare the fish" her mum said. "How do you know there are fish, I can't see any through the muddy water." Little Emily said confused. "There has always been fish here. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't down there. It's like saying there's no stars because you can't see them every night. There will always be beauty even if you can't see it." Her mum spoke wisely. " so... nothing can be beautiful too?" Little emily asked. "Yes Em. Nothing can be beautiful too, if you think it is." Emily's mum said softly. They both smiled at each other before her mum put an arm around Emily's shoulder pulling her in close as they sat by the lake side. " how long are you gonna have to stay in hospital before you can come home?" Em asked. " It might be a bit longer then I first thought. But they are giving me a new medicine to use. It should help me and hopefully I'll still be able to come here at least." Her mum said full of hope. " Em before we go I need to tell you something" her mother said" I know this might sound scary to you but... if I do die... I'd like to be burried here." " In this lake?" Little emily said." Yes Em. I'd like my ashes to be put under this lake" her mum said.