Chapter 7

"Hey, mom," I shouted into the hallway once I returned from school and threw my bag into one corner.

"Jules! Where have you been? You weren't home all afternoon!" she scolded, hands on her hips as she stepped out of the kitchen to see me.

"Yeah, I know," I said, running a hand through my hair, "I hung out at Emily's."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I rolled my eyes, but answered: "I didn't think you'd be home before six."

Knowing exactly why mom was always acting so worried, I tried not to get too annoyed by it. Still, her overbearing, overprotective nature could make me feel smothered at times.

"Fine. Just make sure to at least text me next time. Dinner is almost ready."

"Okay. Thanks, mom," I said and hastily kissed her cheek as I walked past her.

A small smile formed on her face as she gently ruffled my hair on my way to the staircase.

As soon as I entered my room, I flung myself onto my bed and closed my eyes. Today had been a weird, eventful day: first the thing with Hunter being my new partner in Biology and my tent mate on the field trip, then the sudden reconciliation with Emily.

Especially the thought of sharing a tent with Hunter for three nights bothered me. It would definitely be...interesting.

Sighing quietly, I got up from my bed and decided I'd have a shower before dinner. After tripping off my clothes and tossing them onto my bed, I stepped into the little bathroom that was linked directly to my room.

For solid ten minutes I just enjoyed the feeling of the warm water raining down on me and loosening the tension in my shoulders. Afterwards, I just ran my fingers through my curls to untangle them a bit (which never really worked, but actually brushing my hair only made matters even worse) and put on some sweatpants and an old hoodie, my usual get-up whenever I was at home.

By the time I left the bathroom, my mother was already shouting for me to come downstairs for dinner. Yelling back an answer, I rushed down the stairs and entered the kitchen, only to see that my dad was already sitting at the table, currently stuffing his mouth with steak and potatoes.

"Hi, dad," I said and sat down on the chair on the opposite side of the table.

Dad only replied with a nod. He was still wearing his suit that he usually wore for work. My dad worked as a lawyer, my mom was a teacher, which was the reason why mom spent a lot of time at home, preparing her lessons, while I barely saw dad around the house.

For a few minutes we just ate in silence, until my mom looked up from her plate and said: "Jules, could you please do me a favor?"

I quickly swallowed a bite. "Sure. What is it?"

"Last Sunday I helped at that flea market, at the cafeteria..." mom said, referring to one of the charity actions she sometimes did for the local church. "Nancy was there, too and she forgot her cake server there...Would you be so nice and bring it back to her after dinner?"

"Wait, who's Nancy?" I asked with a frown.

"Oh, I assumed you'd know her since her son is attending the same school as you... She's living down the road, right in the first house."

"Why don't you bring it back to her?"

One corner of her mouth curled down. I knew that face, she always made it when she talked about someone she didn't like. "Well, we're not really on good terms," she said. "She reads tarot cards and believes in astrology and who knows what else... I wouldn't be surprised if she belongs to some kind of satanic cult."