Chapter 29

Jules

"Tell me everything," Nate demanded, seizing my shoulders in an iron grip.

My cheeks were burning as I slapped his hands away and sunk onto a nearby chair. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Yeah, right," Emily chuckled and sat down on the table in front of me, boots propped up on the back of another chair. "C'mon, I didn't lie to your parents for nothing! I want details."

"I hate both of you," I declared.

They only exchanged an amused glance, before Nate said: "Nah, you don't. At least tell us if it was good?"

I buried my face in my arms, which were resting on the table, hoping that would muffle my answer. "Yeah, it was. Why do you think so many people want to spend a night with him? Surely not to study algebra."

Nate cracked up laughing and slapped my back approvingly. "Who would've thought you'd someday be able to say you got a piece of the infamous Hunter Adams?"

"Can you please not say that?" I groaned. "Honestly, I'd rather not talk about it."

"He was being nice though, right?" Emily asked, a little more serious.

I lifted my head off the table to smile reassuringly at her. "Yeah, he was."

That was probably the understatement of the year; Hunter had been more than nice. He had been so careful and considerate and just so sweet. I had imagined all of it to be hastier, less intimate. I hadn't expected quiet questions for consent or long kisses, no arms wrapped tightly around me or soft breathing against my neck. Nor had I thought that he would want to just lay there and cuddle afterwards, still warm and fuzzy in the afterglow.

Somewhere in the back of my head there had still been that stupid fear he might dump me as soon as he had gotten me into bed. Knowing that wasn't the case was a bigger relief than I cared to admit.

"Good," Emily said. "So I don't need to get Liam to beat him up. That's nice to know."

I laughed quietly, making Nate and Emily share an equally relieved look. Probably because I had been a useless, teary-eyed mess over the last few weeks and they were glad that they didn't have to worry about me starting to cry at any given moment.

My mood had improved so much since yesterday that my parents had actually gotten suspicious. Apparently being happy was a sin for homosexuals too; my dad had all but glared at me when I had entered the kitchen with a smile. What are you so happy about, Julian? I swear, if it has something to do with that boy...

"Liam, huh?" Nate asked, faking an insulted scowl. "Don't trust me to beat Hunter or what?"

Emily shrugged innocently. "Well, if I wanted someone with noodle arms to try and win a catfight against him, I could've done that myself."

While Nate glared at us, genuinely offended, I high-fived Emily.

"Oh, come on, it's not like Liam is all that muscular either!" Nate complained, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yeah he is," Emily objected. "Have you seen his arms when he rolls his sleeves up?"

I nodded in agreement. "True."

Nate groaned and threw his hands up. "Am I the only one here who hasn't spent several hours swooning over that guy's muscles? Jesus, get a grip."

"Anyways," Emily laughed. "Are you guys coming to that party at Amy's tonight?"

I frowned, resting my chin in one hand. "Who's Amy?"

Nate looked at me in disbelief. "Dude, she's that really hot cheerleader! The one with the short blonde hair? I think she was with Hunter for like two days last year."