Chapter 34

I awoke to the sound of muffled laughter and hushed voices. When I blinked into the dim light piercing through the closed curtains, the first thing my eyes found was Hunter. He was still sound asleep, one hand resting under his cheek, the other loosely grasping onto the last bit of blanket I hadn't stolen from him.

I scrambled to my feet and, feeling slightly guilty, pulled the covers up to his chin. He smiled sleepily and nestled deeper into the pillows.

Grinning like an idiot (I tended to do that a lot when Hunter was around), I leaned down and planted a peck on his cheek. He didn't do as much as stir, so I gave up on him and chose to let him sleep instead.

None of the others were in the living room anymore, so I followed the noises into the kitchen.

"Hey, sleepyhead," Liam greeted when I entered the room. He was sitting at the table, sipping on a cup of coffee.

Next to him was Emily, who looked significantly less bright-eyed; her hair was falling into the face but failed to conceal her pale skin and the dark shadows under eyes. "Morning," she muttered. At least I guessed that was what she tried to tell me through her yawn.

Liam chuckled and set his cup of coffee down in front of her. "You should drink some of this. You look awful."

"Shut up," Emily groaned, but gulped down some of it nonetheless. "I'm never drinking alcohol again."

"Pity. You're cute when you're drunk," Liam teased and snatched his mug back.

"I'm always cute."

"True," he grinned and pinched her cheek, only to get his hand slapped away.

I shook my head with an amused smile and went to pour a cup of coffee for myself. While I waited for the coffee machine to spill some of the most magical liquid known to men, the door opened and Alexis strode into the room, followed by a breeze of vanilla-scented perfume.

She looked more awake than should be humanly possible at this time and after having an ungodly amount of drinks. She was already fully dressed in ripped jeans, boots and a flannel. Even her make-up was flawless.

Nate was only a few steps behind her. I sent him a questioning look when I noticed the annoyed scowl on his face. No, annoyed wasn't the word. Frustrated.

He just shook his head at me in reply and went to pour a concerning amount of sugar into his cup at the counter, effectively blocking the way to the cupboard. Instead of asking him to move a little, Alex came up right behind him and stretched to get a mug from the cupboard above her head, pressing up against Nate's back in the process.

Even from where I was standing, I could hear him inhale sharply. The next thing I saw from the corner of my eye, was Nate spinning around and tightly gripping onto Alexis' hips.

"Can you stop teasing already?" he growled.

Alexis smirked up at him and leaned forward to set her cup down on the counter. "Make me."

I immediately turned my head away when Nate caught her lips in a kiss, and went to turn the radio on to drown out the noises.

Luckily, the two got interrupted rather quickly when the door opened and Adam almost ran into them.

"Jesus Christ," he muttered and pushed past them. "Can all of you fucking stop hooking up wherever I go? There are people who don't want to fight down the urge to throw up every two minutes."

"Jealous, Adam?" Alex mocked but took a step back, smoothing her hair down with one hand.

"I have a girlfriend," he pointed out. Then his face suddenly lit up in a very unlike-Adam way. "Oh, did I already tell you guys she's coming over for prom? She'll be staying here for a week."