Chapter 17

The next day at school passed by in a blur. It was all a mix of sitting in class, listening to the sleep-inducing ramblings of the teachers, talking to Emily and Nate in the hallways during the breaks, and quickly going through my notes for the English exam in the last period before class. The exam itself was rather easy; English was my best subject at school and I usually didn't even have to study for it.

The only interesting part of the day was meeting Hunter and his friends for lunch. I hadn't even planned on doing so, but as soon as Nate, Emily and I entered the cafeteria, Alexis called us over to their table. Even though Emily protested quietly at first, she eventually sat down next to me, so that I was trapped between her and Hunter.

Kind of ironic, I know.

Nate sat on the opposite side of the table, between Alexis and Liam. Adam was nowhere to be seen, and when I asked where he was, they all just shrugged vaguely.

The whole table quickly got involved in a more or less excited conversation about prom that was going to take place in a few months. I didn't really care about such events, especially since I couldn't shake off the feeling that Emily and I wouldn't be going to that prom together, so I didn't bother to contribute to the discussion.

Unfortunately, my silence got noticed soon.

"Hey, Jules, do you know if you'll come?" Liam asked, with his mouth still full of spaghetti.

"I don't know," I evasively said. "Probably not. I'm not really into that kind of stuff."

"Oh come on, of course you'll go," Hunter said. "Who else is going to vote for me as prom king if you don't?"

"You think I'd vote for you?"

Hunter smirked smugly. "Obviously. Who could resist this?" He pointed at his face and laughed in amusement as Alex flicked a grape at him.

"I'm quite positive I can," I said and grinned provocatively.

I immediately regretted my words when I saw his eyes darkening. "I'm quite positive I could change your mind about that," he said, low enough for only me to hear and sent me a suggestive look from underneath his long lashes.

Next to me, Emily cleared her throat and directed my attention back to her.

"Of course we're going, Jules! We can't miss this year's prom. Did you hear what the motto is?"

I shook my head.

"The motto is Once Upon A Time..., so anything that has to do with fairytales, really," Alexis explained.

A smile tugged at my lips as I saw the excited glimmer in her eyes. When I looked at Nate, I could see that he had noticed it too; he was looking intently at her, a soft smile on his lips as he watched her. Like a love-struck puppy.

I lightly kicked his shin bone under the table. Fortunatel,y he got the hint and quickly looked somewhere else.

"So everything will be decorated like a ball room in a castle. We're even planning on setting up a little fountain in the middle of the gym, just for the evening of course..."

"Are you in the committee?" I asked.

Before she could even open her mouth to answer, Hunter said: "Oh, she's doing pretty much every voluntary activity you can do at this school. She's in the festive committee, school magazine, she tutors, she's in the jury for the school awards..." His voice was mocking, but also sort of admiring and, if I wasn't mistaken, a little proud.

"You forgot the student council," Alex chuckled and absently toyed around with the bracelets on her wrist.

"That's amazing," Emily said, clearly impressed.