Chapter 9

"Hunter, wait!" I exclaimed, jogging to catch up with him. "Where are you going? We don't even know the way..." I shivered as a blast of cold air crept under my coat and caressed my skin with icy fingers.

"Well, I certainly won't wait here until they come and look for us. Come on, we'll find our way back on our own, too. It can't be that hard."

"Fine," I sighed, walking next to him.

In the dark I could see next to nothing, so I was pretty much just stumbling through the shadows, not even sure if I was walking on the path or currently walking over graves since my flashlight had run out of batteries.

The sun had set while we had been in the chapel, and with it the temperature had dropped considerably, making my teeth chatter.

Hunter let out a quiet groan as I stumbled into him for the third time in only the last two minutes and spun around to look at me. "Sugarpie, we should really make a tally with the amount of times you've been running into me since we met. There really seems to be some kind of attractive force between us, seeing as you can't stop yourself from crashing into me."

I could only imagine the smug smile of his face in the darkness, but I was convinced it was there.

"Very funny, Hunter. How about we keep walking? I'd prefer to spend my night in our tent, not on a cemetery."

"Oh, trust me, there are about 200 places I'd rather spend the night, in ways that are much more fun," he said. "But I can't have you running into me every thirty seconds."

Before I could reply he reached for my hand and intertwined our fingers. Even though I tried to pull my hand back, he didn't let go and simply dragged me after him, so I had no other choice than following him.

"Are you serious?" I hissed through gritted teeth and glared at his back.

"Relax, Jules," he sighed, never loosening his grip on my hand. "I know that you're kinda scared of this kind of stuff. I won't force you into anything."

By now we had come to a stop and I could feel that he was standing pretty close to me, probably trying to read my features in the dark.

I bit my lip and turned my head the other way. "I know," I eventually said.

Hunter seemed satisfied with that answer, as he started walking again without comment.

My hand in his strangely didn't feel awful, so I stopped trying to wrestle it out of his grasp and let him pull me along. It was kind of nice, having his skin warming mine and at least now I didn't stumble into him anymore because I knew where he was.

By the time Hunter let go of my hand as we reached the gates, it suddenly felt cold without his skin contact and I pulled my sleeve further down to cover it.

In the meantime, Hunter walked up to the gates and pulled on the doorknob to open one of them... but nothing happened.

"Dammit, open," he muttered and tried again, harder this time, but to no success. After a few more tries he turned around and leaned against the gate with a resigned expression. "It's locked."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to keep myself from panicking. "Okay. You don't have your phone still with you, do you?"

Hunter shook his head. "No, I ran out of battery on the bus."

By now I was seriously starting to worry. Neither of us had any chance to communicate with one of our friends and so far no one had come to check on us. Right now it seemed a lot like we would have to spend our night here between the tombs and wait for someone to come and get us when they noticed our absence in the morning.