Chapter 33

Nate was awaiting us at his house at eight in the evening. Liam, Emily and I drove there together in my car. It was a ride full of longing stares and blushing whenever they made eye contact.

"What's up, guys?" Nate asked as he hugged Emily. "Come on in. You can drop your things off in the living room. I put some mattresses and blankets there... My parents won't be home all weekend."

"Hey, man," Liam said. "Thanks for inviting me, too, uh... I appreciate it."

Nate just chuckled and clapped him on the shoulder in passing. "Don't mention it. Just take care of Em, yeah?"

Liam nodded, though he looked rather perplexed.

I grinned and shoved him inside, then closed the door behind me. To my surprise, Alexis was already there when I entered the living room. She was lounging on one of the couches with a book in her hand like she had been there all day and only looked up when Liam went to sit next to her.

"Jules, are you helping me with the drinks?" Nate asked over his shoulder as he walked into the kitchen.

I followed him obediently and started cutting some limes at his command while he scooped ice into some glasses. "So, Alexis has been here all afternoon?" I asked casually.

Nate looked up from the task at hand. "Yeah, I took her with me after school. She helped me with my Spanish homework. God, that girl is a genius."

"So?" I asked again, dragging the word out. "Anything you want to tell me?"

Nate rolled his eyes at me. "Nothing happened. We were studying, that's all. She doesn't like me like that. I heard she has a thing with that one senior-"

"Why don't you just ask her about it?" I cut in. "You guys are always talking about everything. I'm sure she'd tell you if she was in a relationship."

"I can't just ask her. I need to play it cool, or she'll figure out I like her."

"And why would that be such a bad thing?" I asked. "Maybe she likes you too. I still think you should just ask her out."

Nate huffed and threw an ice cube at me, which I avoided swiftly. "Hey, I put up with your pining for weeks. You're not being helpful. I thought gays are good at giving relationship advice!"

I knew that he was joking by the way he was grinning, so I replied with a smirk: "Fine. I'm gonna help you. Apparently straight guys don't manage to get laid even though it's way easier for you."

Before Nate could answer, I headed back into the living rooms, where the others were sitting, and set the drinks down on the table. Nate followed shortly after, bringing some more snacks and bottles.

I sat down on a couch with him while on the other side of the room, Liam and Emily were sitting so close to each other that their legs were touching. I was surprised to see that Adam had followed the invitation as well; he was sitting next to Liam and greeted me with a nod.

Nate passed around the drinks, and soon the second round was tackled and cheeks were tinted pink with alcohol.

When everyone except for Adam and me was slightly tipsy, I said: "Guys, I think we should play something fun. Anyone up for spin the bottle?"

For a moment, everyone looked at me in surprise. Nate narrowed his eyes at me, obviously trying to figure out why the hell I was interested in some random make-out session. When it dawned on him, he stole a quick glance at Alex before he said: "Great idea."

"Why not?" Alexis agreed and reached for an empty coke bottle. "Who wants to start?"

To everyone's surprise, Adam was the first one to raise his hand. "I'll do it. I have a girlfriend, so it doesn't mean anything anyways. Especially not with you losers."