dean winchester || first textual experience pt. 7

|| edited

     Your eyes flutter open and you sit up slowly. You're back in the motel room, alone. You look out the window and see fat raindrops stuck to the glass, barely visible against the inky night sky. You must have fallen asleep once you and Dean got back from David's.

     "Sam? Dean?" you call out, rising from the bed to look for the two. You feel your phone begin to buzz, and you slide it out of the pocket of your jeans. "Hello?" you answer, unsure of who exactly called you.

     A deep, gruff voice that you've learned to love responds. "Hey, (Y/N)!" Dean says. You can practically hear his smile in his voice, and it brings one to your own face.

     "Hey," you laugh, flopping back on your bed. "Where are you? I woke up and you guys were gone."

     "Sammy's out gossiping at some college party he managed to get into, tryna find out who our next victim might be. I'm on my way to talk to some of Annie and David's old friends."

     You can't help but smile as you ask the next question. "So why're you calling?" You bite your bottom lip nervously as you await his answer.

     Dean hesitates. "Just checking on you, I guess."

     You giggle and roll onto your stomach. "Why? It's not like I'm scared of the dark," you tease. You cross and uncross your legs in the air. God, you feel like a ditzy high schooler right now. Try as you might, you just can't help it.

     Dean chuckles. "Yeah, I guess I don't really know why I called either. I can go, if you want me to."

     Before you can think about it, you tell him, "It's okay. I can talk."

     There's a silence on the other end and for a second, you get nervous that it wasn't an offer, but a hint.

     But then Dean responds, "Okay. Sounds good."