[princessofpunkhell] sam winchester || fairly local

|| edited

     "How could you do that?" yells Dean, slamming the door to your room behind him. Your best friend's angry inflection breaks your heart, but you try your hardest to keep a strong front.

     "You wouldn't have done anything differently," you defend, nostrils flaring. He was being a hypocrite, and it was infuriating.

     "No, I would have tried to save those people!" he retorts. You force yourself not to lower your gaze. You won't submit to his shaming.

     "We couldn't have done anything, Dean. And in letting those people die, we saved thousands more. That's a number I'm willing to live with."

     "(Y/N), it wasn't necessary, or sacrificial. It was heartless."

     The words pack like a punch, and you slowly sit down on the bed. "What if it were Sam?" you whisper, staring blankly at the wall in front of you.

     "What?" Dean scoffs.

     "Sam agreed with me. Why aren't you yelling at him, too?" you look up at Dean, not angry any more, but genuinely curious.

     Dean's nostrils flare and he casts you a disgusted look. "I can't believe you're pulling that on me."

     "What's that supposed to mean?" you demand, your voice rising again. "How come I'm in the wrong? Are you just searching for reasons to get mad at me?"

     "Maybe I am," Dean snaps, storming out of your room and into his.

-|-

     "(Y/N)?"

     You sniff and look up to see Sam your other closest friend, standing in your doorway. "Sam?"

     "Are you okay?" he asks, slowly stepping into the room.

     You sniff again and wipe a tear out of the corner of your eye. "No. I'm not."

     He walks over to your bed and sits down next to you. You lean into his shoulder. He brings his hand up to your shoulder and rubs circles into your skin with his thumb. "You will be. I'll make sure of that."

     "Am I really as terrible as he makes me out to be?" you whisper.

     "No," he murmurs. "No, (Y/N), you are amazing. You are... absolutely amazing. I don't understand how Dean doesn't see it... but I do. I hope you know that."

     You look up at him as your heart swells with an admiration you've never felt for him before. "Sam?"

     He smiles his half-smile. You've seen it so many times, and this is the first time that you realize it's extremely attractive.

     "Yeah?" he says gently, his soft gaze flickering to your lips for half a second.

     "How did I never see it?" you say quietly, more to yourself than Sam. You reach up and wrap your hand around his neck. You pull his face towards you and he cooperates. His lips fall into place with yours and you press them into his. You close your eyes and inhale deeply, inhale the scent of his sweat and cologne. You pull away and finish your thought. "How did I never see you?"