dean winchester || east of eden

|| not edited

Pink toes press against the carpet
Show your face and finish what you started
The record spins down the alley, late night
Be my friend, surround me like a satellite

"What do you mean, you want to leave?" Dean says, frustration creeping into his voice.

"I want to leave," you repeat indignantly, raising your chin. You're not backing down, not now. "And I want you to come with me."

Tiger on the prowl
East of Eden
Coming for you now

"You can't just leave the life," sighs Dean sadly.

"But what if you could?" you argue. "We can sure as hell try. Don't you want the opportunity to be happy, Dean?"

Keep me from the cages
Under the control
Running in the dark
To find east of Eden
Keep me from the cages
Under the control
Running in the dark
To find east of Eden

"Think about it, Dean. This life is horrible. It's thankless. It's dangerous. It's ruinous. If we stay in this life any longer, it'll keep us captive. I want to leave. I want to be normal. I want to be happy. And I want to be with you."

Call me wild, drinking up the sunshine
Be my man and show me what it feels like
Denim sky, unbuttoned down the middle
Spilling out little by little

"(Y/N), you know we can't do that."

"But we can!" you exclaim exasperatedly. "There are so many other hunters out there, Dean. We've saved enough lives. Let's save our own, before it's too late."

You try to gauge his reaction and see the contemplation in his eyes. You know he wants this. He's always wanted this. You're just trying to give him a reason to try.

Tiger on the prowl
East of Eden
Coming for you now

"Dean," you say softly. "We're going to die either way. Don't you want to die knowing that you've given the other life a chance?"

Keep me from the cages
Under the control
Running in the dark
To find east of Eden
Keep me from the cages
Under the control
Running in the dark
To find east of Eden

"Why do you want to leave so badly?" he asks quietly.

"Because I have lost everything from this job," you say in a hushed voice. "My parents. My sister. Bobby. Ellen and Jo. And now Sam." Dean looks away from you, tears gleaming in his apple green eyes. "I don't want anything to do with it." You spit out the words like they're poison. "I want to run away and never look back."

If I wanted to stay
You don't mind, you're a true believer
Take it up with the badlands
Creep on in like a concrete fever
If I wanted to stay
You don't mind, you're a true believer
Take it up with the badlands
Creep on in like a concrete fever

"But that's why I want to stay," he whispers. "It's the last thing of Sam's that I have. And... how could I be happy knowing that he never had that chance?"

Tiger on the prowl
East of Eden
Coming for you

"Dean," you sigh, walking forward and wrapping him into a hug. He buries his face in your shoulder and he sobs quietly. "He is happy. That's why I want us to move on from this now. We'll all be happy."

"I can't be happy without him," Dean cries.

It hurts, but it's true. Sam was your best friend. You're not sure that you can do this either. And seeing Dean like this just adds to the pain. The tears start to well up in your eyes. You're honestly surprised you've made it this long without crying.

You put your hands on Dean's face and guide it upwards so that he's looking down at you. "Okay. If hunting's what you need right now, that's what we'll do." He nods and another tear spills down his cheek. "But Sam would want you to be happy. So when it's time, we're leaving. We're buying a house. We're getting a normal job. We're gonna have picket fences and apple pie after dinner every night. And we're gonna have little muddy kids, screaming and running throughout the house, a dog hot on their heels. Because that's normal. And that's happy."

Dean nods. "I wouldn't want it any other way." And then he kisses you, and your tears mix.

Keep me from the cages
Under the control
Running in the dark
To find east of Eden
Keep me from the cages
Under the control
Running in the dark
To find east of Eden