dean winchester || what is and never should be pt. 1

|| edited

- takes place in season 2, ep. 20 -

     A sharp movement jostles you out of your slumber and into consciousness. Instinctively, your hand shoots out next to you and you grope blindly through your sheets until your fingers brush your boyfriend's hip.

     "Dean?" you mumble drowsily, rolling onto your side to look at him. Your brow dips with worry when you see him sitting up in bed, face dripping with sweat and wide, terrified eyes. Dean never gets scared. You sit up and take his hand in yours. "Are you okay?"

     Silently, he brings his free hand to your face and strokes your cheek with the back of his hand.

     "(Y/N)," he breathes, sounding almost amazed.

     You lean into his touch and laugh softly. "Yes?"

     "I... I..." he stutters, seemingly lost for words.

     "What's the matter, babe? Did you have a nightmare?" you ask, scooting over to sit in his lap. You glance back at him and see him smile, feel him wrap his arm around your waist.

     "Um... something like that," he whispers into the back of your neck.

     Hesitantly, Dean's fingers find their way to your hair. He tugs on your locks reverently and you stretch your arm up so you can rest your hand on his cheek.

     "Do you want to talk about it?"

     Dean smiles sadly. "Not really." He gazes fondly down at you for a few moments before his eyes flit to the nightstand where his phone lay. "I need to make a phone call."

     "Okay," you yawn. "I'm gonna go back to sleep."

     The corner of Dean's mouth twitches upwards. You slide out of his lap and his gaze lingers on you. "Okay." He leans towards the nightstand and picks up the phone. "I... I love you."

     You flop backwards against the bed and roll onto your side, your back facing Dean. "Yea, yea," you mumble tiredly, resulting in muffled chuckles from the both of you. You wait for sleep to come, catching little bits of Dean's phone conversations.

     "Sammy?" 

     You're taken by surprise. Dean called Sam? They never spoke anymore. And calling him 'Sammy'? You don't think you've ever heard Dean say that.

     "Oh, uh, sorry. Wait, was that Jess?" Dean sounded amazed that Sam's girlfriend might be with him at the late hour.

     You make a face in the dark. What an odd conversation.

     "I'm sorry, man. I didn't mean to wake you up." There's a pause where Sam talks on the other line. "Mom? Her... birthday?" Another pause. "Yeah. We'll see you tomorrow. For... mom's birthday. Bye." Dean hangs up the phone and you don't feel him move for a few minutes.

     "Mom's birthday," he whispers to himself.

     By now, the tiredness is catching up to you and you're teetering on the line of conscious and not. Dean leans over you, whispering to you, "I'm going to my Mom's house. Okay?"

     "Okay," you murmur, and you drift to sleep before Dean can even get out of the bed.

-|-

     The next morning, you immediately head to Mary's house, remembering that Dean had gone there earlier in the night. You open her front door, habit after your earlier days in the family when she used to always insist that you make yourself at home. You smile when you see Dean happily munching away on a sandwich at the kitchen table.