Chapter 7 - Morning Star

There was a small nudge on her shoulder which caused Juvia's eyes to open. She squinted from the sunlight that shined in her face, rubbing her eyes as a voice echoed through her ears but didn't come out clearly. She slowly sat up, stretching her arms above her head as her eyes fell upon the person standing beside her.

She felt her face go red as Gray loomed over her, his hands on his hips as he glared down at her. He was shirtless and his hair was ruffled like he had just gotten out of bed. Juvia slowly looked down at herself, finding that she wore a white nightgown which nearly made her fall back asleep from embarrassment.

Her eyes widen as a thought popped into her head, making her face go even redder. "I-I don't even remember it. Gray-sama and Juvia," she held the covers over her mouth as she silently screamed.

Gray was waving his hands around wildly, his cheeks flushing as he protested against her thoughts. "We defiantly did not do that! I mean I did sleep in here."

"Gray-sama and Juvia in the same bed?!"

"No, I slept in the other bed!" He sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. He sat down on the edge of the bed, looking down sadly at the white sheets. "After what went down last night, everyone was shaken. I don't think anyone roomed alone."

Juvia suddenly remembered their encounter with Lucy, and the way it ended. Goosebumps made their way up her arms as she gently rubbed them, looking at Gray as he spoke. "You and Wendy were supposed to share rooms but she went with Erza because you decided that drinking three bottles of red wine would make everything better."

She raised an eyebrow, looking beside her to find three empty bottles. No wonder she couldn't remember what happened after their meeting with Lucy. "Oh, that's why Juvia feels dizzy."

Gray rubbed the back of his neck, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "And Erza asked me if I could sleep in here and keep an eye on you. Luckily you feel asleep before you could get another bottle down," he motioned to his bed, where a half full bottle sat on the bedside table. However it had been open with incredible force.

"Can you blame me?" Flashes from last night went through her brain, making Juvia push her blue hair back, her bangs falling in her eyes as she imagined Lucy beating the bartender's body to a pulp. "The image of his head losing connection to his body just," she didn't finish her sentence as she tried pushing it out of her mind. The sound it had made ringed in her ears.

"I don't, which is why I downed half of that bottle," he indicated to the half full one, a tired smile crossing his face. "I'm just glad I didn't have any nightmares about it." She nodded, glad she didn't have it either.

He rose from the bed, turning his back to her as he asked, "you gonna shower?" She thought about it and decided it might help get the horror images out of her mind. She told him yes as she pushed the covers off her, getting to her feet. "I'll leave then," he said when he was already out the door, it falling shut behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the door closed behind him, Gray could breathe again. He heard the sound of her footsteps as she entered the bathroom, closing the door behind her. "Rough night?" He jumped by the sound and appearance of Erza, who was smirking as she looked at him.

He glared at her. "Actually yes, do you remember what happened last night?" Even though he knew that that wasn't what she was talking about, he didn't want to seem weak in front of her.

"I do," she said, her smirk falling from her face but there was still a hint of a smile as she clamped a hand on his back. "But I don't really feel like talking about our psycho friend who murdered a man right in front of us this early in the morning. How'd things go with you and Juvia last night?"